World Vision International is a Christian relief, development, and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families, and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. World Vision - Iraq Office is looking for a highly qualified and motivated person for the position of Project Manager – Ninewa.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Project Manager, reporting to the Operations Manager, will provide overall leadership and management to the implementation of the ANCP funded Projects in the Ninewa Governorate. This position will be accountable for leadership, planning, support, and management of the project so that activities and outputs remain on track and the program contributes to its main goal of the project and ensuring its contribution to WV Iraq Strategy.
The project aims to create market systems that are resilient, sustainable, and inclusive of women, PwDs, and those suffering the psychosocial consequences of conflict and displacement. The project aims to support local livelihoods by creating better market environments by addressing issues including lack of access to capital, gender inequality, poverty, fragile market systems, lack of livelihood diversification, exclusion of marginalized groups, inefficient safety nets, weakened social cohesion, and the detrimental impact of post-traumatic stress syndrome on economic productivity.
The project aims to do this by strengthening household institutions for enhanced economic participation; strengthening market systems for inclusive economic development; supporting conflict prevention and greater social cohesion; building capacity in natural resource management and climate resilience; conducting local level advocacy on mental health, gender, and disability inclusion, and; ensuring the long-term sustainability of actions.
The project aims to work at three levels – household, community, systemic/structural - to ensure sustainable impact amongst internally displaced people, returnees, and host communities within Ninewa Governorate.
The project will use the Community-Led Targeting Methodology which establishes an inclusive community-based committee (comprised of men, women, PwDs, marginalized groups, small-scale farmers, representatives of microenterprises, etc.) supported by the local leadership, to ensure that approaches and activities are socially inclusive and sensitive to the different needs of various people groups.
The main objectives of the project are:
a. Providing access to credit and training in financial literacy.
b. Promoting the adoption of new or improved livelihood opportunities.
c. Engaging men in discussions around gender inequality; establishing strong referral networks for victims of gender-based violence.
d. Providing business coaching and mentoring opportunities; conducting local value chain assessments for income diversification.
e. Facilitating access to business development and advisory services.
f. Providing psychosocial support to those who have experienced trauma.
g. Building the capacity of faith/community leaders and children to be peacebuilders; and so forth.
- Demonstrate World Vision’s core values, vision, and mission in all aspects of the role.
- Build a team of highly committed and competent staff, ensuring cooperation and coordination among relevant staff within the Project.
- Provide leadership and direction to the overall project.
- Create a learning environment in which staff regularly reflect, learn from mistakes and use lessons for personal growth, and to revise work plans to improve ministry impact.
- Ensure that staff and local partners understand and follow the World Vision (WV) child protection policy and that awareness-raising on child protection, response, and incident reporting is occurring.
Project Management (Quality Implementation, Financial & Risk Management)
- Coordinate with Operations Manager, programs, sector leads, finance, and administration staff to ensure that the program systems and staff are working to achieve the project goals and objectives and that the project is maintaining World Vision and donor accountability standards.
- Ensuring appropriate structures, internal and external standards, staffing, resources, and policies as well as all grant requirements are adhered to.
- Ensure a clear understanding of project assumptions by all project staff to aim at the effective and timely achievement of project goals, outcomes, and outputs.
- Ensure that all terms and conditions agreed in the signed MoUs with donor and government departments are adhered to throughout the life of the project.
- Manage and mitigate any risks within the Project that could have financial, Human Resources (HR) or Legal consequences or negatively impact ministry or World Vision reputation.
- Ensure that proper community development practices and “Do No Harm” practices are incorporated and upheld throughout the planning and implementation of the project.
- Support in the development of accurate and complete Bill of Quantities
- Prepare and submit procurement plan in close coordination with the team.
- In coordination with the PDQA, regularly monitor and evaluate the progress of the project.
- With support from WV Iraq’s Finance Department, assume primary responsibility for budget reviews and monthly financial reports, highlighting concerns as they arise.
- Ensure compliance with WV and donor financial policies and procedures and promoting a culture of transparency and accountability.
- Ensure proper coding and budget availability of all project expenses.
- Oversee the submission of monthly cash requests for project operations.
- Ensure contractors and creditors are paid in a timely manner.
- Review and approve expenditures and contract according to assigned levels of authority.
- Manage direct reports and provide overall project leadership
- Coordinate and oversee the hiring process for project staff.
- Coordinate and implement new employee project orientations and training.
- Monitor staff performance and raise any issues with Human Resources if necessary.
- Initiate and perform, with support from others, staff performance appraisals.
- In coordination with P&C, maintain accurate employee data files and oversee completion of routine issues such as contract renewals, leave, salary adjustments.
- Develop the capacity of staff to plan, monitor, and coordinate service delivery.
- Identify staff capacity needs and undertake pro-active on-the-job training to strengthen their capacity to deliver interventions.
Monitoring, Reporting, and Administration
- Ensure accurate quality narrative and financial reports are submitted in a timely manner and according to donor requirements.
- Work closely with Program Officer in ensuring that all reports meet donor requirements.
- Track the performance of the project activities and outputs against expected results and adjust implementation processes to ensure the project is progressing towards the intended outcomes.
- Analyze the impact of the project and promote learning by documentation of best practices. Use this information to support decision-making processes.
- Track project progress, project expenditure against approved budgets, anticipate any deviations, recommend, and take action on relevant and required adjustments.
- Track project risk in order to timely adjust and implement the existing contingency plan.
- Travel regularly to all project sites to ensure proper implementation of project activities.
- Create and present monthly summaries of project activities and future plans to World Vision Iraq leadership.
- Ensure that organizational security measures and directives are integrated into the project.
- Any other duties relating to the nature of the job
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject (International Development, International Relations, Health, Environmental Engineering, Nutrition, Management, etc).
- A relevant master’s degree would be an advantage.
- Experience managing and leading grant implementation, specifically UN grants, is highly advantageous.
- 4-6 years experience in grant project management. Strong generalist background essential, but technical sector expertise advantageous.
- Demonstrated experience working with UN projects in a leadership role
- Demonstrated experience in emergency response
- 4-6 years of development and/or relief work at the programmatic level.
- Experience in integrated program/project cycle management
- Experience living and working in a fragile context
- Mentoring within cross-cultural contexts.
- Demonstrated technical and professional aptitude in project management in a fragile context.
- Understanding of multi-sector project implementation essential i.e. a thorough understanding of key sector interventions at a programme/operational level i.e. familiarity with Economic Recovery Interventions, Food Security, Cash Assistance programming.
- Relevant professional experience managing and implementing large emergency/development projects
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office i.e. Excel, Powerpoint, Word, etc
- Demonstrated understanding of the humanitarian sector
- Demonstrated understanding of the workings of major donor agencies, particularly USAID/FFP/OFDA.
- Advanced written and oral English skills i.e. the ability to express ideas clearly and effectively, both in spoken and written English.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of project cycle elements, M&E systems design, and management.
- Understanding of integrated rural community development programming and processes.
- Strong capacity building and facilitation skills.
- Cross-cultural and gender sensitivity, flexible worldview, emotional maturity, and physical stamina.
- Self-starter who can work independently under pressure and who has the ability to manage work tasks without direct supervision.
- Effective in establishing priorities and planning, coordinate and monitor activities, juggle competing demands and work to tight deadlines.
- Strong ability to work with and relate to diverse personality types, practice relational and ideological tolerance, and contribute to a positive organizational culture.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations and healthy social interactions in psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
- Willing to travel as required.
- Able to live and work within a fragile context and restricted environment.
- Commitment to World Vision Core Values, Vision, and Mission Statement.
- Knowledge of and adherence to the Red Cross and NGO Code of Conduct and capability of incorporating standards in implementation and evaluation of relevant projects.
- Fluency in the local language.
- Working knowledge of English and ability to write reports in English.
- Up to 60 percent domestic travel.
World Vision is an equal opportunity employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce and welcomes and supports all employees to achieve the maximum extent of their potential. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Mode of Application:
If you are interested in this position, to apply, please register at
No information inquiries will be handled over the phone. Only short-listed candidates will be notified of the interview. The deadline for application is 12 June 2021.
As a Child focused organization, World Vision is committed to the protection of children and does not
employ staff whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is
conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks.