Global Rights Compliance (GRC) is seeking a full-time legal analyst/translator to join its team for the project titled “Advancing International Accountability for ISIS Atrocities through Evidence Analysis in Iraq”.
The focus of the job is to provide legal research, drafting and evidence review. The position will also assist in providing direct translation support to a senior analyst (based in Duhok) and to the project lead/senior legal advisor (remotely based). This may involve assistance in translation of legal briefs and memoranda, forensic, training and other materials from English to Arabic and vice versa. The legal analyst/translator may also assist with simultaneous translation during meetings, trainings and as otherwise requested.
The main goals of the project are to enhance the capacity of stakeholders in Duhok to integrate international law standards in efforts to deal with international crimes and to organise, process and mobilise evidence of international crimes.
Qualifications and background:
The following qualifications are required:
- Advanced degree (JD, Master’s degree or equivalent) in law is required. A first level university degree in combination with at least two additional years of qualifying experience in international/criminal law may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Knowledge and practical experience in international criminal, humanitarian and/or international human rights law;
- Strong and demonstrable research, drafting and analytical skills;
- Respect for confidentiality;
- Arabic and English fluency (reading, writing, speaking);
- Exceptional organisational and time management skills and attention to detail;
- Willingness to base in
The following qualifications are strongly preferred:
- Knowledge of and/or experience working in the Iraqi context;
- A minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible legal experience, at either the national or international level;
- Experience working within international tribunals and/or international legal accountability mechanisms;
- Experience in training, mentoring and capacity building;
- Experience in legal translation and knowledge of legal terminology;
The job will be based in Duhok, Iraq. GRC offers competitive consultancy fees.
To apply, please send a cover letter indicating how your profile matches meets the required and preferred qualifications listed above, as well as a CV in English to email@example.com, with the subject line: Legal Duhok.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Deadline for Application is 19 June 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Global Rights Compliance is an international group of lawyers specialising in international humanitarian law and human rights issues. For more information on GRC, visit www.globalrightscompliance.com.