The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with more than 23,000 employees in over 120 countries. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Our business volume is around 3.3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in achieving their objectives in international cooperation and to offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions
The government formed in Iraq in the wake of the has defined comprehensive reform measures to embark on an inclusive development path based on stable and accountable institutions and increasingly driven by the private sector. This includes public financial management and tax reforms.
About the project
The “Assisting Reconstruction and Improving Living Conditions in Anbar” (ARILA) is commissioned by BMZ to improve the conditions for better livelihoods in selected communities in the districts of Fallujah, Heet and Ramadi in Anbar governorate. ARILA’s economic component seeks to promote income opportunities through both dependent and self-dependent employment. Corresponding activities supported by the project include (i) short-term vocational training followed by job matching and placement services to improve the target group’s perspectives for dependent employment as well as (ii) a combination of vocational training, entrepreneurship/business training and business activation grants to foster entrepreneurial self-employment. The activities are implemented in concert with ARILA’s measures to rehabilitate and restore public and social infrastructure and efforts to promote peaceful and inclusive communities.
The advisor will contribute to or, if delegated, be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of component activities. Amongst other tasks, the advisor proactively:
- Builds and maintains a network with formal and informal providers of technical and vocational education and training (TVET) or job skills and qualification courses, relevant authorities for the development of training curricula and plans, and stakeholders in the private sector with the overall aim of improving training for job seekers based on the needs of the labor market
- In close coordination with the Head of Component, prepares options for supporting the TVET and qualification training architecture in Anbar. This will include capacity building and organizational development to strengthen individual actors and networks.
- Provides advisory services on capacity development for cooperation partners in Anbar related to TVET, short-term qualification courses, internships and apprenticeships for youth entering the labor market, and other topics as per the guidance of the Head of Component.
- Cooperates closely with the component’s advisor for business development in order to match trainings to the needs of supported businesses.
- Facilitates contacts to networks and individuals for the Head of Component and, if necessary, for other GIZ projects and project consultants
The advisor will be instrumental in developing and putting into action the strategic and operational plans of the component. Amongst other tasks, the advisor proactively:
- Supports the development and implementation of the project’s operational plan in cooperation with the Head of Component and other colleagues. This may include the full responsibility for certain, delegated activities such as the development of Terms of Reference for contracts, developing Bills of Quantity and specifications for procurements, writing of reports, backstopping of consultants, and other tasks
- Advises the Head of Component to identify new ideas and partners for implementation of activities to create and promote sustainable livelihoods, income generation and job opportunities for vulnerable groups in Anbar
- Assists all other employment promotion and training activities implemented through the ARILA project or its implementing partners, including providing technical advice and coordination efforts
- This position is based in Baghdad, but frequent travel is expected between Baghdad and the project office in Ramadi as well as to project locations in Falluja, Ramadi and Heet.
- Master’s degree in education and teaching, social work, social sciences, business administration or related fields.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in managing and/or teaching at a vocational training center or equivalent institutions, or in supporting vocational training centers • Work experience with actors and agencies for international cooperation for sustainable development (such as UNDP, USAID, DFID, JICA, GIZ, KfW) or their contractors and consulting firms
- Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic languages are mandatory for this position • Very good working knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Applicants will be required to demonstrate their professional skills, their written and spoken English as well as capacity to talk freely about the subject matter during the selection process
Important notes for your application
The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH ARILA 022-118) TVET & Job Skills Qualifications Advisor Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
The use of GIZ templates is mandatory, all applications that do not use the template will not be evaluated.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.
GIZ templates for applications: