GRC is an international human rights law and development firm based in the Hague, committed to promoting international law, particularly international humanitarian law (IHL) and human rights.
We are seeking a full-time translator (consultant) to join its team for the project titled “Advancing International Accountability through Evidence Analysis in Iraq”.
The role will involve the translation of legal briefs and memoranda, forensic, training and other materials from English to Arabic and vice versa.
The translator will also assist with simultaneous translation during meetings, training and as otherwise requested.
The main goal of the project is to support stakeholders in Duhok to integrate international law standards in efforts to deal with international crimes and to organize, process and mobilize evidence of international crimes.
Qualifications and background:
The following qualifications are required:
● At least two years of experience in translating written briefs and documents from English to Arabic and vice versa;
● Respect for confidentiality;
● Exceptional organizational and time management skills and attention to detail;
● Arabic and English fluency (reading, writing, speaking);
● Willingness and ability to work from an office in Duhok.
The following qualifications are preferred:
● University education/degree in interpretation or translation;
● Experience in legal translation and knowledge of international criminal law terminology;
● Experience in simultaneous interpretation.
● Experience working within international tribunals and/or international legal accountability mechanisms;
● Knowledge of Kurdish.
The consultancy will be based in Duhok, Iraq. GRC offers competitive consultancy fees.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. The deadline for Application is 27 November
2023. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.