Chemonics Iraq seeks applications from qualified candidates for the position of Translator for a USAID funded project based in Erbil. This project operates in a multilingual environment that requires significant documentation in English, Kurdish, and Arabic. The Translator will support efforts within the project (for both program and operational requirements), and provide translation and interpretation support at events, translate documents for publication, and provide ad hoc support as needed. S/he reports to the Operations Manager or her/his designee.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides written translations of any or all project documents, reports, and deliverables from English into Kurdish, Kurdish into Arabic, and/or English into Arabic, or vice versa.
- Writes executive summaries of documents in Arabic, Kurdish and/or English as requested.
- Briefs expatriate technical advisors verbally, and in writing when requested, on contents of Kurdish and/or Arabic documents.
- Provides oral interpreting services as needed expatriate staff or other visitors during meetings, workshops and conferences, and field trips.
- Reviews and edits support staff and outside translation jobs in Kurdish, Arabic and/or English.
- Coordinates with English language, Arabic language and/or Kurdish language editors in finalizing documents.
- Provides other interpreting or translating to/from relevant languages, as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of three years’ experience, including relevant translation services.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both spoken and written English, Kurdish and/or Arabic required.
- Experience with legal translating is strongly preferred.
- English, Arabic and/or Kurdish language typing required.