About the job
The Technical WASH Officer designs, executes, monitors, and reports on DRC construction activities and projects at field level, in the sectors of WASH and other infrastructure as appropriate. The Technical Project Officer reports directly to the DRC Shelter/WASH Manager(s), Team leader.
- Reports to: Shelter/WASH Manager(s) as defined by project activities, WASH team leader
- Subordinates: water and technical Field team leaders, Cash for Work labourers
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Shelter/WASH Manager(s) and WASH team leader as appropriate, implement all construction, maintenance and repair activities as defined by project requirements.
- Identify direct and indirect beneficiary needs in terms of access to suitable shelter, housing, infrastructure, WASH facilities and other community services, taking into consideration the specific needs of vulnerable individuals and persons of concern.
- Support, facilitate or undertake communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, partners and stakeholders in all stages of project design and implementation.
- Work closely with the Shelter/WASH Manager(s) in order to implement projects according to relevant local, national and international technical standards.
- Supervise all Water monitoring team and process to ensure a well-organized distribution of drinking water, and all met with humanitarian standards
- Survey, plan, design and supervise the implementation of camp, non-camp and community infrastructure as defined by project requirements.
- Conduct complete site surveys with drawings and photographs, prepare designs, prepare detailed BOQs and Schedule of Works and follow all necessary procedures to ensure timely delivery of work to the required quality, including ensuring necessary liaison with local authorities and obtaining of required authorisations and permits.
- Ensure daily monitoring of the quality of construction and the progress of project/works implementation.
- Insure good supervision over the camp based technical team, including all the intervention within the camp.
- Provide regular updates on progress to supervisors and other team members, including other departments and sectors as appropriate.
- Prepare weekly reports for the Shelter/WASH Manager(s) to document office and site activities, including communications with external actors, action points, decisions / changes made, and progress.
- Ensure regular and timely reporting of problems, potential delays or risks to project implementation to the relevant supervisor, and support in the development and execution of solutions and mitigating actions. Prepare Order Request forms, Purchase Orders, Payment Requests and other standard documents to enable timely delivery of materials, works and services.
- Be responsible for communication of project requirements and deadlines to suppliers, contractors and subcontractors, DRC staff and other hired workers, ensuring full compliance of all actors and partners with DRC Code of Conduct, Code of Ethics, HAP and other compulsory regulations.
- Be responsible for safe storage, inventory and maintenance of materials, tools and equipment, as well as ensuring safety of all staff and beneficiaries during implementation of project activities, acting as safety focal point.
- Where relevant, liaise with donors and partners on project updates, site visits and other communication.
- Daily/ monthly reporting to WASH manager; WASH team leader on all the technical aspects.
- Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the Line Manager;
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq programme Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct, HAP and other key documents.
Specific activities include:
- Conducting building, site and other technical surveys;
- Involvement in project identification and selection;
- Design of appropriate gender, age and diversity-sensitive adaptations and/or facilities to ensure functionality, safety, privacy, dignity and equality of access and use;
- Prepare BOQs, drawings and other documentation to enable the timely implementation of the project, to the required standards and quality.
- Liaise with other actors (e.g. local authorities, beneficiaries) to ensure effective implementation and meeting of needs.
- Provide technical guidance, advice and input on other DRC projects.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in architecture, civil/structural/site engineering, or water / sanitation engineering, or other relevant technical background.
- Several years’ professional work experience in designing and managing construction projects and/or water and sanitation infrastructure.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English and Arabic is essential.
- Proficiency in the following computer programmes: Autocad (or other CAD software), MS Excel, MS Word.
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a complex multicultural environment as a flexible and respectful team member.
- Professional registration or accreditation by the relevant regulatory body or association.
- Experience working with or for NGOs and/or UN agencies, particularly international humanitarian organisations in refugee / IDP contexts (e.g. camps).
- Familiarity with international humanitarian and protection standards (e.g. Sphere)
- Excellent communication and organisation;
- Systematic planning and analytical skills
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of local communities and customary rules;
- Punctuality, professionalism and respect for applicable rules and procedures;
- Ethical, transparent and accountable decision-making;
- Independent work showing initiative, i.e. with minimal supervision and under pressure;
- High regard toward preserving confidentiality of work-related information and data;
- Self-motivation, goal/result-orientation and team work;
- Flexibility, creativeness, tolerance and maturity.
- A high level of spoken and written English and Arabic is essential
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract until 31-December-2017, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from 1-July-2017.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level C1
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications closes on 18-June-2017. The interviews are expected to take place from 20 to 22 June 2017.