Job Title Technical Advisor for Peacebuilding, Professional
Reports to: Head of Project, Strengthening the Resilience of Dealing with Conflicts and
Crisis in Ninewa project
Duty Station: Erbil
Ninewa Governorate in Northwestern Iraq continues to be severely affected by the aftermath of the occupation by the terrorist organization Islamic State (IS) and the subsequent liberation struggles. The public social and productive infrastructure is still partially or completely destroyed. Reconstruction has so far only taken place to a limited extent and only in certain areas. There is no strategic planning for physical and economic reconstruction at neither a local nor national level. The local administrative structures are largely incapable of action and cannot fulfil the states obligations to care for the population. As a result, access to public social services is very limited. Formerly existing economic structures, which provided the basis for
livelihoods and income generation opportunities, have been destroyed by the harsh consequences of the conflict. The GIZ project “Strengthening resilience in dealing with crises and conflicts in Ninewa, Iraq (SRN)” aims to strengthen the resilience of vulnerable populations through the construction and rehabilitation of basic public social infrastructure, livelihood activities, as well as peacebuilding measures. Furthermore, the project adopts a context and conflict-sensitive approach in all fields of action. Thereby, the project aims at conceptualizing the relevant connection between so called “hard components” e.g., construction and “soft components” including programming in conflict transformation, promoting peaceful coexistence, and strengthening social cohesion in Ninewa, particularly on a local level.
A. Responsibilities - The Peacebuilding Advisor will be responsible for:
1. Contribute to conceptualization and design of new project activities in the field of social cohesion. This includes the responsibility to:
- Lead and support on the development of projects in the field of dialog, mediation and media.
- Quality control of the peacebuilding activities carried out by implementing agencies and contractors.
- Ensuring that activities are aligned with the overall GIZ SRN project objectives.
2. Independently manage, steer and advise partners for implementing large-scale service contracts with local and international consortia. This involves:
- To ensure that projects are implemented in an effective, time-bound manner
- To ensure that project activities yield planned results and achieve intended impacts
- To ensure that project activities are carried out in compliance with GIZ standards and regulations
B. Tasks - The Peacebuilding Advisor will perform the following tasks:
1. Continuous advisory on technical approaches on local peacebuilding and social cohesion:
- Advise the peacebuilding team and the head of component on approaches to media for peacebuilding and how to support social cohesion through innovative, media and social-media-based channels
- Support the peacebuilding team and the head of component through advisory on dialog, mediation, negotiation, and other conflict transformation approaches
2. Management and steering of project activities:
- Conceptualize and tender new project activities new project activities in cooperation with the head of component
- Steer and manage a large-scale media project that focuses on highlighting diversity, solidarity and the cultural heritage of Ninewa, managing local and international stakeholders.
- Steer and manage a large-scale youth mediators project that focuses on, capacity development in conflict transformation, ensuring the projects interlinks well with SRN’s other peacebuilding activities.
3. Other tasks as per the needs of the project and specified by the line manager
C. Qualifications – Candidates shall have the following competencies and experience:
1. General work experience
- 7 years of work experience in the humanitarian, development, or peacebuilding sector in Iraq
2. Specific work experience
- 5 years of experience, supporting local peace processes, peace building, and social cohesion work in Iraq, in relation to Ninewa province.
- Proven experience in advising on technical topics of peacebuilding and social cohesion. Technical knowledge on negotiation, mediation and media-for-peace are a must and need to be proven by specific work experience
3. Language skills
- Excellent English skills (C1), with proven ability to communicate adequately in a sensitive and demanding context, including with international organizations, consultancies and political partners
- Very good Arabic skills (B2)
4. Soft skills
- Impartial and objective approach towards working in a sensitive environment with many conflicts of interests between different identity groups and the capacity to intervene as an independent stakeholder
- Team player, willingness to coordinate and collaborate with all members of the peacebuilding component, the overall SRN project team, horizontally (between colleagues of the same level) as well as vertical (with head of project and head of component)
- High motivation to contribute to peacebuilding in Ninewa and to achieve high quality impacts under tight timelines
- Willingness to contribute to a fast-paced team and being flexible to ever-changing contextual implementation context and the associated challenges
- Being open to learn and to keep learning new skills, being able to innovate and conceptualize new project activities in a creative way
D. Required documents
1. Cover letter
2. CV, max. 4 pages, no work certificates shall be provided
3. A letter, (max. 3 pages) answering three guiding questions:
- What do you identify as the biggest challenges to social cohesion in Ninewa and;
- how would you like to contribute to addressing this challenge in order to increase resilience of the communities in Ninewa and;
- What would you like to contribute to the GIZ SRN team, thereby utilize this position to achieve the objective you specified?
Applicants not attaching the letter will not be considered.
Requirements for application:
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (EBL-SRN21-170) Technical Advisor for Peacebuilding, Professional
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.