Job Title: Technical Advisor
Reports to: Project DV
Duty Station: Ramadi
The Restoration of Peace, Livelihoods and Economic Cycles in Anbar (RePLECA) Programme is implemented by the Iraqi Ministry of Planning of Iraq and local partners with the support of GIZ, acting on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The current program phase is from December 2019 to June 2023. RePLECA focusses on stabilizing and improving rural livelihoods for most vulnerable groups in Anbar Governorate by rehabilitating productive infrastructure, providing agricultural inputs, engaging in capacity development, facilitating access to public services and supporting local peace processes. The project’s goal is to improve livelihood perspectives in the agricultural sector along the whole value chain from seed to consumption and to contribute to peaceful coexistence between and within communities. The project follows three main objectives: • Increasing the yield of smallholder households • Promotion of employment prospects in the broader agricultural sector and in the food industry • Fostering peaceful local participation and decision-making processes with a focus on increasing the economic, social and political participation. RePLECA is partnering with international and local partners to deliver context- sensitive and tailored services. In cooperation with the Iraqi Ministry of Planning, RePLECA is working at the governmental level with the Directorate of Agriculture, Directorate of Water Resources as well as the Anbar provincial government.
The Site Engineer is responsible for
- Providing comprehensive high-quality support to the GIZ Project office on all aspects of the technical support according to GIZ regulations.
- Responsible to deliver and accomplish the construction and/or rehabilitation of facilities in compliance with the project’s goals and objectives.
- Oversees the day-to-day site management and supervision.
- Ensuring the overall efficiency and effectiveness of processes and activities undertaken to achieve timely delivery of infrastructures measures.
- Good communication flow, particularly with the project team and wider programme and support staff.
The Project Assistant performs the following tasks:
- Provide overall technical assistance to GIZ construction projects, from their planning to their implementation and monitoring.
- Responsible to ensure that effective implementation, monitoring and supervision tools are developed and implemented.
- Responsible to ensure effective quality control systems are in place and contractor and engineering consultancy companies work in compliance with technical specifications and GIZ quality standards.
- Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers.
- Ensure all technical inputs and cost estimates related to the construction components are accurate, timely provided and included in the project proposals and budgets.
- Support the Supply section in all tender exercises for the procurement of construction and consultancy services.
- Take responsibility for overall progress and use of resources.
- Identify and manage risks and initiate corrective action where necessary, so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved.
- Prepare interim - final project and handover reports and maintain the relevant project records.
- Manage project budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
- Coordinate with Operations and programs required activities ensuring proper and timely actions from both, GIZ’s and Government’s side.
- Certify disbursements of funds monitor and submit financial status reports to management in compliance with the pre-established requirements.
- Ensure a sound handing over of facilities to project beneficiaries.
- A close cooperation with the superior is expected.
- Solutions, regarding the detail planning have to be independently developed and to be coordinated with the superior.
- Supporting in the research of construction possibilities regarding new construction detail solutions. This consists of contacting companies in order to receive knowhow to include this in the planning.
- Supporting in all necessary planning tools for providing functional public buildings, such as escape and rescue plans, including Heating/Ventilation -, Sanitary- and Electronic planning.
- Support the tender exercises for describing and providing the technical drawings and detail planning.
1. Other duties/additional tasks
The Technical advisor
- performs other technical duties and tasks at the request of the superior
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Advanced university degree in Architecture, Civil or Structural Engineering, or another relevant technical field.
- at least 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Experience in overall construction planning, from predesign to complex construction detail design/planning.
- Experience in concrete and prefabricated building construction.
- Solid knowledge about building supply systems.
- Good experience in construction processes.
- Good knowhow about local and regional Construction materials and the local market conditions.
- Very good communication skills.
- Experience in working in complex environments and large infrastructure, prefabricated building construction and/or civil works.
- Knowledge of procurement, tendering, contracting processes and requirements documents.
- Working experience in the area of preparation, implementation and monitoring of technical/ (re)construction projects; methodological and calculation skills.
- Background/familiarity with an emergency/transitional development aid.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Arabic, German is an advantage
- Familiar with AutoCAD, Civil 3D and other needed engineering software, Microsoft Office and Outlook (Email).
- 1 Year, with a three-month probationary period
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (RMA- RePLECA21-141) Technical advisor
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.