Job Title: Technical Advisor
Reports to: Head of Programme
Duty Station: Baghdad
The GIZ-project “Promoting Dialogue and Participation in Iraq (PDP)” is looking for a Technical Project Officer with an excellent knowledge of the political environment in Iraq, strong social and diplomatic skills and an interest in fostering dialogue and participation processes in Iraq. The duty station of the position will be the GIZ Baghdad Office. GIZ is a German government organization in the field of development cooperation which is active in more than 120 countries with over 22.000 employees. More information about GIZ can be found via www.giz.de.
Promoting and fostering national, regional and local dialogue among all Iraqi parties and groups with the aim of establishing a pathway forward for the country is a goal set out by the Iraqi government. GIZ aims to support those processes through the PDP-project. Aside from establishing platforms for dialogue between government officials, civil society, the private sector and other relevant stakeholders, the project also aims to enhance the Iraqi capacities for evidence-based dialogue through the strengthening of Iraqi think tanks, research institutes and local NGOs. The candidate will deliver support in the implementation of the project’s activities, help to maintain excellent relations with relevant Iraqi stakeholders and help to analyze and identify potential partners in implementation. The position requires excellent communication and diplomatic skills, great knowledge of the political environment in Iraq and the ability to think strategically.
Responsibilities and Tasks
1. Management and coordination
The technical professional will
- support the project’s operational plan in coordination with the line manager and will coordinate and assist in preparing and conducting project activities
- conduct desk and field research, collecting data and information about relevant stakeholders for the dialogue platforms
- ensures knowledge management: collects, processes and distributes relevant information, monitors communication and interaction between government institutions, NGOs and civil society through analyses of the media, direct dialogue, participation in meetings and seminars etc.
- is responsible for preparing, implementing and documenting training events, workshops, forums, team meetings and other project activities
- will help to conceptualize activities, write Terms of References and assist with the minutes of meetings
- develops and maintains contact and good flow of communication with all important stakeholders and implementation partners with the goal of establishing a strong network
- Identifies relevant stakeholders and helps to identify the needs of Iraqi think tanks, universities, research institutes and NGOs
- support in monitoring the results of the project in accordance with the standard GIZ M&Eschemes and will prepare reports and publication material about the project
- represents the project and its activities in coordination with the line manager
- provides technical assistance to local and international experts
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- Master’s degree in political or social science, economics or any other relevant field
- At least 3 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
- Prior work experience in international development cooperation organisations or with an international NGO is an advantage
- Great diplomatic and social skills are expected
- Strong managerial and organisational competence. Ability to work independently
- Fluency in Arabic and English is necessary. Fluency in Kurdish is an advantage
- Ability to travel within Iraq and internationally is an advantage
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, email, internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office) is necessary
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-PDP21-132) Technical Advisor
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.