GIZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH) is a German development agency that provides services in the field of international development cooperation. On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GIZ is tasked with improving employment prospects in the technology sector for young entrepreneurs and job seekers in Iraq. Since 2018, the project Information and Communication Technology (ICT) - Prospects for Modern Youth in Iraq has been working with its partners to support Iraq's technology and startup ecosystem. To achieve this goal, the project promotes the establishment of innovation hubs and training in entrepreneurship and digital skills in Baghdad, Basra, Erbil, Sulaymaniyah, and Mosul - and provides space for coworking, coding, and networking within the tech community. The project also supports research and access to finance through grant matching and the establishment of angel investor networks in Iraq.
The project takes a holistic approach in creating much-needed employment prospects for young people in the digital sector in Iraq by supporting the development of an ICT ecosystem to promote digital skills and entrepreneurship. Innovation Hubs have been established in selected urban areas to provide training, coworking, and makerspaces where young people can improve their practical skills, access a broad network of peers, and receive support from experienced mentors to develop their business ideas. The trainings focus on hands-on skills in ICT, entrepreneurship, and soft skills, creating employment prospects for entrepreneurs and job seekers alike. In addition, access to finance and investment is facilitated by matching with suitable investors and employers.
The responsibilities of the Project Advisor include the managing and monitoring of partner cooperation and project activities in the various geographical regions and levels of intervention of the project, as well as contributing to its strategic development and representation.
In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
- Supports and monitors the strategic development and implementation of project plans and activities in close coordination with partners.
- Manages financing contracts with implementation partners
- Contributes to the preparation and implementation of the coordination process, joint project activities and work at different levels of project intervention.
- Engages in the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on topics related to the project’s field of activities
- Develops and organizes quality assurance activities and proposes necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives
2. Networking and cooperation
- Initiates, liaises and manages strategic partnerships with relevant stakeholders from the innovation ecosystem, and the private sector
- Manages existing stakeholder and investor networks
- Advises other projects on the cross-cutting topic of digitization
- Moderates project networking formats an represents the project through contributions at conferences and in internal/external media
3. Knowledge management
- Ensures knowledge transfer for project information
- Acts as trainer and mentor for knowledge transfer to international and national staff
- Develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- Draws up reports and presentation documents
- Prepares appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the project manager
- Assists with research activities and studies.
4. Coordination tasks
- Assists in general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, organization and facilitation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation
- Coordinates relevant project activities in cooperation with partners, both in terms of implementation and preparation of organizational aspects
- Manages high-level visits and is responsible for respective organization and communication
- Compiles relevant information for joint activities and operations
- Handles order management on behalf of the project (e.g. bid preparation, impact monitoring, project progress monitoring, reporting)
4. Other duties/additional tasks
The position holder will support the project with any additional tasks if necessary.
Required qualifications, competencies and experience Qualifications
- Academic degree in relevant fields such as IT, Economics, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Communications or comparable studies
- At least 2-3 years of experience in the field of Entrepreneurship and Start-up promotion, ICT ecosystem and/ or IT freelancing
- Proven work experience in international development organizations is an advantage
- Above average academic Arabic and fluent English language proficiencies are mandatory (written and spoken).
- Management experience of small and medium projects is mandatory.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Distinctive diplomatic and social skills
- Proactive working mindset
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office
- Ability to work under changing work contexts and time pressure
- Ability to travel inside Iraq (incl. South and KRI) and abroad for limited periods of time
- Enjoyment of working in intercultural teams and a positive attitude towards diversity
Requirements for application:
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-ICT22-052) Start-up Entrepreneurship Advisor
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.