SCOPE OF WORK
USAID/IGPA Ninewa Investment Facilitation and Business Development
Private Sector Development Specialists
Period of Performance
Estimated LOE (in working days)
The USAID Iraq Governance Performance and Accountability (IGPA) program seeks to increase employment through demand-driven private sector-led economic growth in Iraq, with a major focus on Ninewa Province. IGPA aims to work with private sector firms, with a focus on Ninewa Province, by providing targeted technical assistance to identify and overcome specific business access to finance constraints to make these firms investment-ready. The objective of this task order is to increase employment and economic opportunities by helping the private sector, including small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and, as appropriate, larger, developed businesses located in and near Ninewa province, attract investment. This activity will work with existing USAID funded programs, government institutions, and the private sector to promote increased competitiveness and investment opportunities for Iraqi businesses.
The Private Sector Development Specialist will provide support to the Private Sector Investment Team Lead on private sector assistance efforts of the activity, which includes a range of entrepreneurial support, such as access to finance activities, intended to strengthen the readiness of firms to grow and create jobs. The individual will provide assistance to create investment promotions for businesses and stimulate foreign and local investment in Iraqi businesses. The individual will provide assistance to generate investment opportunities for businesses and increase jobs and provide key insights and knowledge regarding the Iraq and Ninewa economic environment.
Responsibilities and Key Tasks:
- Review existing analysis on the Ninewa Province business and investment environment and conduct initial foundational market analyses in Ninewa Province target sectors
- Support planning and implementation of Ninewa Investment Forum conference.
- Provide businesses with technical assistance to improve business and staff capacity for improved production output, service delivery quality, and profitability.
- Develop tailored business development services (BDS) training modules and business plans for selected businesses.
- Build and supervise sectorial and businesses data base.
- Support identifying investors and investment opportunity in Ninewa businesses.
- Guide team members and selected business in market research efforts.
- Provide advisory services to contribute to business sustainability.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible private sector development experience with demonstrated strong management and coordinating skills required. Experience on USAID or donor-funded projects preferred.
- Expertise in working with financial institutions and creating and/or improving access to finance and products for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and disadvantaged segments of society, such as minorities, women and youth.
- Strong understanding of economic growth environment and challenges in Iraq, especially in Ninewa Province.
- Expertise with private sector development related to one of the key productive sectors presently established in Ninewa, such as agribusiness, construction, manufacturing, trade (retail and logistics), or petroleum production support required.
- Willingness to travel to Ninewa Province and elsewhere in northern Iraq required.
- Excellent written and spoken Arabic and English required.
- Strong research proficiency and ability to accurately and efficiently draft written materials required.
- Must have legal right to work in Iraq.
Location and Reporting:
The Private Sector Development Specialist position will be based in Erbil, Iraq and will report to the Private Sector Investments Team Lead.
Application Instructions: Please apply using the following link. Finalists will be contacted for interviews.