- To provide direct physiotherapy services at Trauma Rehabilitation and Treatment Centers (TRTC) in Basra to individuals, groups and communities to recover from physical difficulties resulting from the effects of torture and/or war trauma
- To assist the rehabilitation process by developing and restoring body awareness, self-regulation, and body systems, in particular the neuromuscular, musculoskeletal, cardiovascular and respiratory systems resulting from the effects of torture and/or war trauma under daily supervision of clinicians;
- Co-ordinate with TRTC staff and management representing HI as part of a multidisciplinary team to ensure comprehensive case management of patients attending the centre.
Under the management of the deputy project manager and the technical supervision of the rehabilitation coordinator, in close collaboration with other disciplines, the Senior Physiotherapist’s primary physiotherapy responsibilities include:
- Provide appropriate physiotherapy assessment to patients throughout their episode of care in order to continuously evaluate their progress and their changing needs for intervention and establish treatment goals and plan.
- Determine appropriate treatment techniques for war trauma and torture survivors based on solid clinical reasoning. Interventions could include education, exercise therapy and manual therapy in the context of group work or within individual sessions.
- Educate and advise patients and their care takers about prevention and/or self-management of their condition.
- Assess for and prescribe relevant assistive devices based on needs identified
- Take responsibility for maintaining professional development by keeping up to date with evidence based practice for managing patients.
- Assist in the daily clinical operations to ensure patients are given appointments in a timely manner, group work activities and room designation is scheduled and coordinated fairly, equipment is shared and organized appropriately and follow patient procedures.
- Maintain up- to- date clinical records and documentation of activities, to ensure that all required clinical and project documentation is completed and stored in a timely and professional manner.
- Ensure that all work with patients observes confidentiality policies and that ethical practices are observed at all times and are in accordance with the World Confederation for Physical Therapy (WCPT) standards.
- Ensure the cleanliness of treatment spaces and equipment used with patients as well as maintains a clean, professional appearance.
- Is proactive and participatory in developing the Physiotherapy service and in helping support/orientate colleagues.
- Attend all regularly scheduled trainings and meetings necessary for professional development and team coordination and upon request.
The Senior Physiotherapist’s primary responsibilities working as a multidisciplinary team member include:
- Cases manage patients’ interdisciplinary care through regular communication to best identify patients’ on-going needs.
- Consistently communicate prior to and throughout patient sessions with other disciplines to supply and receive relevant information about the background and progress of patients as well as refer those who require other specific attention.
- Provide and attend internal trainings to orient new staff and provide on-going interdisciplinary understanding and discussion.
- Recognize and respect boundaries between disciplines and establish regular communication mechanisms to address patient urgent and/or on-going concerns.
- Assist with community outreach and awareness, education, and sensitization campaigns and programs when needed.
- Providing awareness and training to outreach teams and other staff / partners as appropriate to support identification and referral to the physiotherapy service within the centre.
- Contribute to completing the documentation and reporting of external trainings as necessary.
- Assist with developing referral systems and encourage collaboration between local groups and leaders, local and international NGOs, and government ministries.
- Attend interagency meetings to improve service delivery to our patient groups and access opportunities to forward HI’s work.
The Senior Physiotherapist’s primary responsibilities to promote self-care through support and supervision include:
- Attend regular support, debriefing, case conferences, and/or supervision meetings to ensure information and skill-sharing.
- Set and follow through on a personal self-care schedule to avoid burnout and vicarious traumatization.
- Recognize and seek support when needed from internal and/or external resources to address concerns of secondary trauma in an expedient manner.
- Provide formal feedback to colleagues when requested for on-going performance evaluation and development.
Note that this job description must remain flexible, to respond to additional tasks or changes as identified by the line manager.
Line management: Deputy Project Manager
Collaboration with: Rehabilitation Coordinator, TRTC team and management.
Education and Experience
- University Degree/diploma in physiotherapy.
- Physiotherapy practicing license (provided by the Ministry of Health).
- At least 3years of relevant experience.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Excellent Oral and written communication skills in English & Arabic is essential
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
The working hours are the following:
Sunday until Thursday, from 8.00 AM to 4.30 PM with 30 minutes lunch break. The work duration is fixed but the working hours can vary according to the planning of activities.
It can be exceptionally requested to work on Friday or Saturday. In that case a day off is planned between Sunday and Thursday during the previous or following week.
Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager. In that case the overtime will be considered as recovery time to be planned by the line manager in the next days.
The Employee undertakes to adhere to HI policies which include:
v Terms and conditions of engagement (T&C)
v Internal regulation (IR)
v Child protection policy (CPP)
v Protection of beneficiaries from sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA)
v Antifraud and bribery
v Code of Conduct (CoC)
How to apply:
Handicap International is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from persons with disabilities
Interested candidates may please send their resume with cover letter so as to reach on or before
15th Apr 2020
Only applications completed in accordance with the following instructions will be
Taken into consideration, the others will be rejected automatically.
Mentioning clearly in the subject line of your e-mail the reference:
Ref: HI-IRQ -BGD-BSR-SPT2–499
Your application will not be taken into consideration if this information is omitted from the
Subject line of your e-mail
Please address all applications to:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted