Position Title: Senior Mud Engineer Consultant in Kurdistan
Line Manager: In-country Drilling Superintendent.
Location: Rig site at either Sarta of Qara Dagh wells. Ideally on a 28/28 Rotation.
Genel Energy Plc is an Anglo-Turkish exploration and production company with a focus on the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. We are one of the largest London listed independent oil producers, primarily through our interest in the Tawke Production Sharing Contract, which contains the world-class Tawke field and promising Peshkabir discovery. Our growth aspirations are supported by a robust balance sheet and strong cash flow generation. The Genel Drilling Department is taking a long-term view toward developing a performance drilling team to optimize drilling efficiency and drive down trouble time and costs in very challenging drilling environments. The senior mud engineer in Kurdistan will work close with the London Drilling Team and the daily rig operations to develop and implement the Drilling Programs (Drilling, Workovers, Plug and Abandonments, Completions, Well Tests, etc) while pursuing performance drilling and reducing NPT. This role will work with and monitor daily the mud company products used and mud quality to ensure mud properties are as reported.
Key Accountabilities (Bold indicate the key qualifications for initial assignments)
- Review key offset information (DDRs, mud reports, etc) and develop a drilling issues mud plan with mitigations previously used and proposed.
- Conduct a detailed drilling fluid study with the existing mud companies in Kurdistan to optimize the drilling fluids recommendation.
- Assist with implementing the MPD to be used during the upcoming drilling campaign.
- Visit in-country the drilling mud contractors and service companies to assess their capability, products supply, and equipment condition.
- Provide third party engineering QaQC for the mud companies.
- Ensure familiar with LCM products that may be used, how to mix and pump them.
- Work with the Performance Drilling concepts to develop a world class performance drilling team with goals for annual performance improvement relating to mud.
- Numerous other projects as directed.
- Provide 24/7 mud engineering support for Sarta and Qara Dagh drilling and completion programs.
- Show strong HSE leadership during the drilling execution phases.
Significant industry training courses
Current Well Control Certificate
Job Knowledge, Skills and Work Experience
- Engineering degree.
- Fluent in English.
- Must have good/excellent writing skills.
- Ten plus years of Drilling, Completion, Workover Mud Engineer experience.
- Significant land rig drilling and completion mud experience would be a plus.