Position Title: Senior Environmental Advisor
Line Manager: HSE Manager (during absence, to Head of HSE) Functional reporting to ESG Manager
Genel Energy is an independent E&P company listed on the main market of the London Stock Exchange Headquartered in London with offices in Ankara, Erbil, Sulaymaniyah, Morocco & Somaliland. Genel is one of the largest London-listed independent oil producers and is the largest holder of reserves and resources in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI).
This KRI based role (residential, with quarterly holidays and flights) or (rotational 6 weeks on/2 weeks off) will report to the HSE Manager (during absence, to Head of HSE) and functional reporting to the ESG Manager. The primary purpose of the role is to provide environmental functional leadership and support to a range of operated & non-operated assets. The candidate will be required to undertake a certain amount of travel in support of the role.
Genel is an ambitious E&P company looking to maximize the value in its current portfolio and grow its position. Genel places high value on technical excellence and creative thinking in making prudent investment decisions through a project-based stage-gate process. The successful candidate will play a key role in this journey and will have the opportunity to material contribution to the growth and success of the Company.
For further information, please refer to www.genelenergy.com.
Operate within and promote Genel Energy core values and HSE culture.
The purpose of this position is to be the technical authority (subject matter expert) for Company’s Environmental standards and work practices by providing expert judgement and technical insight. Play a key role in the implementation and execution of environmental plans and activities required in making continual and positive improvements in the field operations.
Key tasks will include:
• Maintain compliance with local and international environmental laws, regulations and standards.
• Develop, implement and maintain Genel’s environmental management system as per ISO 14001 and related procedures and work practices.
• Develop and maintain environmental aspects and impact register.
• Lead development and approval of environmental impact assessment (EIA/ESHIA) studies, and implement the necessary recommendations of environment management plans (EMP/ESHMP).
• Manage environmental monitoring for emissions, discharges, waste, biodiversity, resource use, traffic, etc.
• Communicate environmental requirements across the organization
• Develop and implement waste management system to ensure that waste generated during operations is managed properly through planning, minimization, segregation, remediation, recycling, storage, transportation, and disposal; including control of work and related documentation.
• Develop spill contingency plans, maintain equipment and conduct training and exercises.
• Responsible for implementing and monitoring asset-level biodiversity management plans, through collaboration with external specialists.
• Lead Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions accounting, reporting and 3rd party verification.
• Develop and maintain asset and corporate carbon budget models.
• Lead Scope 3 emissions data collecting and calculations.
• Lead selection of BAT for project design and engineering for control, management and mitigation of environmental impacts to water, air, biodiversity and soil quality, etc.
• Liaise and coordinate with departments and management to ensure Company and contractual environmental requirements are implemented and targets met.
• Conduct regular environmental audits and inspections across all operations, contractors, and suppliers.
• Investigate environmental incidents and implement recommendations.
• Implement environmental improvement actions by engaging departments and management.
• Prepare and submit environmental performance data (KPIs and Targets) and activity reports.
• Develop and deliver environmental awareness and compliance training. Facilitate external training.
• Collect environment data for IOGP reporting and submit Company’s environmental performance on annual basis through IOGP system.
• Lead CDP water reporting, collect the data and ensure that water use reduction targets are maintained.
• Lead / participate in emergency response as needed.
• Review environmental-related documentation and manage environmental services contracts and invoicing.
• Manage the environmental interface with contractors and operationalize related standards.
• Develop members of the environmental team through competency development plans, coaching and training.
• Give advice and assistance to management on all matters relating to environment and sustainability.
• Ensure timely and efficient implementation of approved work programmes and budgets.
• Lead HSE culture and continual improvement journey as an integral HSE team member.
Skills and Experience:
• Minimum 15 years of experience in environment/sustainability at operational supervisory field level roles for international oil and gas companies.
• Higher university degree (e.g. MSc) in an environmental discipline.
• Professional qualifications e.g. IEMA or equivalent; Lead Environmental Auditor etc.
• Knowledge of industry best practices and national and international legislation.
• Experienced in leading ENVID, ESHIA, EMP, waste management, oil spill contingency planning, audits and incident investigations
.• Experienced in developing and implementing ISO-14001 environmental management system.
• Experienced in GHG emissions accounting/forecasting capabilities (including scope 3 calculations)
• Experienced in promoting sustainability within community support projects (e.g. biodiversity, waste recycling, etc).
• Experienced in liaising with government authorities, local communities and NGOs.
• Fluent in English (reading, writing and speaking)
• Use of specialist software (e.g. Visio, Oil spill, Air modelling, etc.).
• Proven problem-solving ability and a pragmatic flexible approach
• Ability to influence stakeholders for Genel’s environment and sustainability agenda with a pragmatic flexible approach.
• Be able to work in a remote location with minimum corporate support
Internal & External Interaction:
• The position is a member of HSE team and is expected to work closely with operations (project, drilling, production, etc.) and other functions like BS, CSR, logistics, administration etc.
• The role will require regular interaction with local authorities.
Please submit your application via the link below before December 21,2021