The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with more than 23,000 employees in over 120 countries. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Our business volume is around 3.3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in achieving their objectives in international cooperation and to offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
The Risk Management Office (RMO) is responsible for the design and implementation of day-to-day security risk management across Iraq. Security Risk Management Advisors (SRMA) contribute to the safety and security of our staff and operations and thereby support the successful implementation of development programmes and cooperation.
Security risk management
- Monitors the security situation and advises on short-term, mid-term, and long-term changes based on trends and developments in Baghdad and Southern Iraq
- Collects up-to-date security and political information through formal and informal contacts
- Monitors road conditions regarding security in the area of responsibility
- Maintains and colour-codes the movement map according to up-to-date security information
- Maintains and updates mapping of natural districts; security-related (man-made) incidents; health-related risks; political, military, ethnic, and religious realities and structures.
- Supports and enables projects to be implemented in a safe and secure manner
- Acts as the primary security focal point for all GIZ staff in Baghdad and wider Southern Iraq
- Maintains the security risk management system for Baghdad in line with the country-wide system
- Conducts site security assessments (residence, office, sub-office, guest house, warehouse and etc.) and advise on mitigation measures, also support implementation
- Ensures all collected data are logged in a database system.
- Ensures all policies and procedures are effectively communicated and respected
- Supports incident and crisis management
Liaison and networking
- Acts as the focal point to contracted security providers in Baghdad
- Cultivates a cooperative and service-oriented relationship with projects and colleagues
- Establishes formal and informal contacts with senior actors that have or may have an influence on the process of a safe and secure project implementation
- Establishes and maintains contacts with relevant sections of NGOs, GOs, and UN organizations; and attends the local security meetings organized by development organizations if possible
- Establishes good working relationships with governmental bodies and senior local security authorities and maintains friendly relations with domestic security and intelligence services
- Establishes contact networks with other relevant actors
- Establishes and maintains contacts with informal power structures
Security briefings and advise
- Briefs and advises the Team Leader Central Iraq or Head of the RMO on the security and political situation in Baghdad whenever requested, changes occur, or fresh intelligence is received.
- Provides safety and security briefing for newly arrived national and international staff
- Provides regular updates to the Team Leader Central Iraq or Head of RMO to inform security briefings and coordination/information meetings
- Records and reports any project-related irregularities and dissatisfaction
- Immediately reports all incidents regarding transportation to the RMO
- Drafts incident reports, threat warnings, and advisories, etc.
- Supports the biweekly in-country briefing and RMO’s analysis products
- Regular duty trips to Baghdad will be required for reporting and planning meetings
Other duties/additional tasks
- Supports fleet management and movement monitoring as well as colleagues’ journey management
- Take on other related tasks assigned by the RMO
Required qualifications, competencies and experience :
- Decision-making capacity: Demonstrated well-balanced judgment in security management skills to mitigate vulnerabilities, threats, and risks as well as manage protection issues
- Planning and organization: Sound organizational and management skills including a strong service orientation. Ability to plan and organize assignments with little supervision, prepared to up-manage and ask for support when it is needed
- Accountability: Operates in compliance with service rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Assumes full responsibility for actions and decisions
- Technology awareness: Willingness to use automation technology. Computer skills and basic familiarity with vehicle tracking systems are required
- Work under stress: Professional and courteous attitude and demonstrated ability to work effectively in a stressful environment
- Communication: Ability to provide instruction clearly and concisely both orally and in writing. A high sense of confidentiality
- Teamwork: Ability to lead yet closely coordinate with team colleagues and superior virtually. Ability to work in a multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, including gender. Ability to manage interpersonal conflicts with a high level of self-reflection
- Commitment in continuous learning: Interest in upgrading and learning new skills in this professional field
- University degree in a related field such as risk and security management well as relevant security trainings
- Higher education, courses in military, police and other relevant field is an asset
- 3 to 7 years of working experience in a similar position
- Proven working knowledge of security risk management for humanitarian/development actors
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Good working knowledge of ICT technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, Access or other database programmes)
- Proficiency in both English and Arabic in speaking/listening/reading/writing
- Well-connected and well-respected in the geographical area of responsibility
- Excellent social skills to build further network of contacts
Important notes for your application
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-RMO22-082) Security Risk Management Advisor Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- The use of GIZ templates is mandatory, all applications that do not use the template will not be evaluated.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.