The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with more than 23,000 employees in over 120 countries. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Our business volume is around 3.3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in achieving their objectives in international cooperation and to offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions
Support to Stabilization and Violence Prevention in Iraq (SSVPI)
The GIZ project “Support to Stabilization and Violence Prevention in Iraq” (SSVPI) supports the stabilization process in Iraq and contributes to the prevention of violence and violent extremism through coordination on stabilization, a funding facility addressing drivers of radicalization, and a component on dealing with the past / restorative and juvenile justice.
We are a motivated, and dynamic team that values ownership of one’s areas of responsibility while working in a team and showing a cooperative spirit. We welcome applications from personalities with similar qualities.
The SSVPI Project is looking for a Project Adviser to plan and guide the implementation of the project’s work on the rehabilitation and reintegration of juvenile detainees and as well as on rehabilitation and reintegration of perceived ISIL-affiliates – with a particular focus on Anbar.
The SSVPI Project is looking for a Specialist to lead the technical work on PVE though contributions in int. working groups, advisory to various stakeholders, and the facilitation of state-society dialogue on the implementation of the national CVE strategy. In addition the specialist will contribute to the project’s efforts on the rehabilitation and reintegration of perceived ISIL-affiliates – with a particular focus on Anbar.
- Analysis on drivers of violent extremism as well as technical advisory and development of concepts/approaches to PVE
- Technical inputs to inter-agency working groups on PVE programming in Iraq and formulation of advisory to embassies on PVE and stabilization
- Supporting the design, and implementation of a community of practice on PVE for local civil society organizations, incl. thematic agenda-setting and mobilization of external expertise on PVE
- Providing inputs and preparing the projects contributions activities to the governmental process on return, rehabilitation, and reintegration of Iraqi nationals from Al Hol, co-chaired by GoI and UN
- Co-designing and implementing the rehabilitation and reintegration efforts in Anbar, with a focus on Heet and Falludja
- Liaison with the expert community on PVE in Iraq and the region, as well as key Iraqi stakeholders on PVE
- Development and maintenance of an operational plan, incl. monitoring and documentation of activities
- University degree (min. M.A.) in social studies, psychology, political science or a related field. Lack of relevant degree can be compensated with substantial working experience in relevant governmental institutions or international organisations.
- Overall minimum of 5 years working experience, of which at least 3 years in the field of the prevention on violence and extremism or on perceived ISIL-affiliated families
- Extensive knowledge and expertise on concepts and approaches contributing to the prevention of violent extremism (PVE), with a focus on rehabilitation and reintegration of perceived ISIL-affiliated youth and women
- Distinct experience in designing, planning and implementing activities in Iraq, preferably linked to PVE, social cohesion, IDP reintegration and peacebuilding
- Experience in facilitating trainings and dialogue sessions on PVE for/with civil society and governmental stakeholders
- Excellent knowledge of the public administration in Iraq, governmental bodies and other authorities especially for the relevant actors in the field of PVE, social cohesion, as well as return and reintegration
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Strong organisational competence and strong communication skills and ability to adopt according to context
- Strong managerial and organisational competencies
- Team player and readiness to collaborate
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Fluency in Arabic and English are mandatory (written and spoken)
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, MS Teams, Zoom/Webex et.Al.)
- Ability to travel within Iraq regularly and possibly internationally is require
Important notes for your application
The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-SSVPI22-094) PVE Advisor Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
The use of GIZ templates is mandatory, all applications that do not use the template will not be evaluated.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.
GIZ templates for applications