Job Title: Psychosocial counsellor/ MHPSS Expert
Reports to: Head of GMAC Baghdad
Within the framework of the “Migration for Development” programme financed by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GIZ supports more than twenty countries to better use the potential of international migration for development. As part of the “Migration for Development” programme, the Programme of “Returning to New Opportunities” establishes to build the migration advice structures in the countries of origin and enhance it by setting-up and developing Migration Advice Centres about migration.
In the context of migration advice, activities to support and advice on regular migration as well as to improve the social and economic reintegration of migrants and refugees returning to their country of origin is the goal.
The Psychosocial counsellor provides support for:
- Psycho-social counselling to returnees after their return to the country of origin and to local population.
- Counselling sessions per individual and support, especially to migrants who have returned to the country of origin from Germany and other EU countries.
- Referral of clients to specialized programs or institutions for further psychosocial support or treatment if needed.
- Develop and implement psychosocial support measures for individuals (returnees), groups as well as specific target groups e.g. families, youth etc.
- Document the counselling services in accordance with policies.
- Provides crisis intervention (psychological first aid) in situations requiring immediate psychological support.
- Participates in educational programs, in-service meetings, and workshops to enhance professional development and maintain currency of methodology and techniques.
- Provides psychological consultations to other mental health professionals within community- based agencies with regard to clients and/or patient care.
- Working in a team of advisors under the supervision of the Coordinator
- Provide direct support to the CSO focal point (25%) and the M&E advisor (25%)
- Researches, compiles and makes available relevant information, offers and acts in the area of social and economic reintegration
- Exchanges with his/her counterparts in the Germany module in order to provide country- specific information to migrants intending to return from Germany.
- Cooperates with relevant counterparts within bilateral projects of GIZ and GIZ country office.
- Supports the Coordinator and advisors in all activities of the project, in everyday occurrences and will fulfil tasks that will be delegated by the Coordinator, and the Programme Coordinator of PME, based in Eschborn, Germany.
- Supports the team in the further development of the activities and approaches of the Centre.
- Support to the CSO focal point on steering the reintegration measures based on the needs of returnees.
- Coordinates the return of case specific returnees jointly with the Reintegration Scouts through the translational case management.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
The Psychosocial counsellor
- Counselling of clients with regard to psychosocial needs stressors.
- If needed, identify needs for further psychosocial counselling or treatment and refer to qualified institutions
- Establish a rapport with clients to support them in understanding and accepting counselling recommendations
- Provide psychological crisis support (psychological first aid) and interventions to PMAC clients
- Consult with staff to develop diagnoses and treatment plans in accordance with the needs of their patients
- Participate in the development of counselling policies and procedures
The Psychosocial counsellor
- in consultation with the coordinator and the advisors, prepares and carries out qualitative research projects (developing survey instruments, field trials, training field staff, organisational preparation in the field, collecting and analysing data,)
The Psychosocial counsellor
- Communicating, updating and collecting information on returnees and potential migrants
- Supports the M&E in assembling data on returnees and potential migrants
- Knowledge of and ability to apply relevant current special education methodologies and techniques.
- Knowledge of accreditation and certification requirements and standards.
- Knowledge of crisis intervention techniques.
- Ability to observe, assess, and record symptoms, reactions, and progress.
- Ability to effectively communicate medical information, test results, diagnoses and/or proposed treatment in a manner easily understood by the client.
- Interviewing and psychological/developmental evaluation skills.
- Ability to evaluate the progress of therapeutic programs and to make individual modifications.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Ability to assess mental status in clients and to develop individual treatment goals and plans.
- Knowledge of psychological test administration, scoring, and interpretation.
- Ability to maintain emotional stability to cope with human suffering, emergencies, and other stresses.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining patient records.
- develops training materials for presentations during the workshops, information days, job fairs, career fairs, media presentations and other events
- carries out training in Job Placement
- moderates team meetings in connection with reintegration activities
- Master’s degree in Psychology
- Current license in Psychology
- Qualification in an internationally accepted therapeutic method
- Qualification and proofed experience in Psychotraumatology and PFA (Psychological First Aid)
- Minimum 5 years of experience
- good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, Access or another database programme)
- Mandated Arabic, Excellent English, (Kurdish & German language skills is a plus)
- experience of project management and research experience in an area related to the project’s activities
- Have experience in migration and reintegration
- Having network of Governmental and non-governmental org. in the field of MHPSS
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref (BG-PME20-65) Psychosocial counsellor/ MHPSS Expert
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screenshots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered