The GIZ Information and Communication Technology (ICT) for Youth project focuses on promoting employment in the digital and entrepreneurial sectors in Iraq. To achieve this, the project supports the development of an innovation ecosystem in Iraq by establishing innovation centers and supporting ICT initiatives throughout the country. The innovation centers are equipped with coworking and makerspaces and provide access to a broad network of peers, as well as practice-oriented training in digital skills and startup entrepreneurship. The digital skills training is tailored to improve the overall employability of young Iraqis in the ICT sector to meet market demand, and focuses on topics such as: Front- end, back-end and full-stack development, artificial intelligence and digital fabrication (laser cutting, CNC, 3D printing).
During and after the training programs, participants and entrepreneurs are matched with suitable investors, potential employers and customers to create long-term employment opportunities. The project also addresses the lack of access to finance by supporting the development of private sector collaborations and investor networks for investment in the ICT ecosystem. In addition, the format seeks to advise on and promote the topic of digital skills at the policy level and supports market research in various sectors.
The position holder is responsible for
- Providing technical advice on strategic planning and implementation of the project
- Coordinating implementation of activities
- Management of contracts and providing technical advice to implementing partners
- Coordinating collaboration at the various levels of project intervention as well as high- level partner visits
- Coordinating with other GIZ projects and donor organizations
- Representing the project on internal/external conferences and sector meetings
- Identifying new cooperation opportunities and extending the project's partner network
- In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
The position holder is supporting the technical implementation and monitoring of project activities in coordination with the project director and his deputy. This will include the full responsibility for certain activities, components and events. The position holder supports the development and implementation of sustainable business models for makerspaces in various locations in the country.
2. Planning & Monitoring
The position holder provides local, practical, and theoretical knowledge to the project planning process. The position holder supports in strategizing and planning of innovative approaches and events to support advanced digital skill development.
3. Coordination and Stakeholder Management
The position holder serves as liaison and activity coordinator to political partners, national organizations, project partners, and beneficiaries and supports the initiation and implementation of strategic partnerships with private sector entities and universities This includes the coordination and cooperation with actors of the innovation ecosystem as well as representing the project and its activities, building up new relationships, identifying potential cooperation partners, and being the contact person for administrative and political office holders to the project. The position holder supports in the preparation and implementation of workshops and conferences (online and offline). Furthermore, the position holder supports in the coordination and quality control of consultants and contracted project partners.
4. Other duties/additional tasks
The position holder will support the project with any additional tasks if necessary.
Required qualifications, competencies and experience Qualifications
- Academic degree in relevant fields such as IT, Economics, Engineering,
- Environmental Studies, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Communications or comparable studies
- At least 2-3 years of experience in the field of ICT and digital skills development; work experience in the private sector is an advantage.
- Proven experience in supporting development cooperation efforts in the field of ICT employment promotion. Practical knowledge of gender equality measures is an advantage.
- Proven working experience in supporting development cooperation efforts in the field of ICT employment promotion; working experience with GIZ is an advantage
- Experiences coordinating activities with administrative entities, academia, business owners and managers as well as business organizations.
- Above average academic Arabic and fluent English language proficiencies are mandatory (written and spoken).
- Management experience of (small) projects or contractors.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Enjoyment of working in intercultural teams and a positive attitude towards diversity
- Distinctive diplomatic and social skills
- Proactive working mindset
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office
- Ability to work under changing work contexts and time pressure
- Ability to travel inside Iraq (incl. South and KRI) and abroad for limited periods of time
CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.