Title: Project Coordinator – Financial Inclusion
Reports to: Project Director
Duty Station: Baghdad
On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is implementing the project “Financial Inclusion for a new economic start and integration in Iraq.” The project aims to sustainably improve financial inclusion and access to inclusive financial services for vulnerable target groups such as internally displaced people, returnees, and refugees, especially women and youth and those running micro and small businesses. This aim will be achieved by supporting the systemic development of the Iraqi financial sector to provide inclusive financial services in cooperation with financial service providers, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and the Central Bank of Iraq (CBI).
The project is organized into three outputs:
1. Improved provision of needs-based financial services for the target groups
2. Awareness-raising, information, and training on financial services (financial literacy)
3. Further development of the regulatory framework for inclusive financial services
The Financial Inclusion project is looking for a “Project Coordinator – Financial Inclusion” who will be supporting the implementation of output 1 and 2 activities.
The duty station for this position is the GIZ Baghdad Office.
The position holder is responsible for:
- Adequate support to the Project Director and the team in project implementation matters, which includes planning, implementing, reporting, and monitoring & evaluation.
- Supports the implementation of the project’s operational plan in coordination with the project director and the team. This may include the full responsibility for certain activities according to the standard project cycle.
- Support the process of expanding the range of financial services
- Support the efforts to strengthen financial literacy among the target groups
- Assisting the project to identify new beneficiaries and partners as well to maintain excellent work relations with existing ones.
1. Research & development
The position holder will support in:
- Conceptualizing, drafting ToRs, reports, procurement documents, guiding analysis and assessments, reviewing texts
- Conducting desk and field research, collecting and assessing data and information. Coordinating and development of analysis of supply gaps in financial services and
- financial infrastructure relevant to the target group
- Development of financial services with innovations in product design
- Implementation of studies on the preferences and barriers affecting the use of inclusive financial services by target groups and the evaluation of existing experiences
- Conducting mapping of financial service providers, and business development service providers, facilitate interactions with the potential institutions willing to expand financial and/or business development services
The position holder supports
- In coordination with the Project Director, the team and local partners, plan, implement and monitor the financial inclusion activities.
- Development of target group-specific awareness-raising and training formats for financial inclusion.
- Development of advisory services on income-generating measures and small-scale investments, especially for IDPs, returnees, and refugees
- Implementation and monitoring of activities along the project cycle and assist the team and the Project Director in all respective matters.
- Organizing, contributing and supervising different events like workshops, missions,webinars, virtual conferences, etc.
- Compiles relevant data for the project impact monitoring and contributes to progress reporting on his/her scope of work.
3. Communication, knowledge sharing, networking and initiating cooperation
The position holder will operate and contribute to
- Ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners especially financial service providers; carries out PR work and cooperates with relevant organisations and individuals in the project environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- Involved alongside the Project Director in the coordination of activities with other relevant government agencies working on financial inclusion with the Government of Iraq
- Coordinating with his/her colleagues in Baghdad and other regions on daily basis
- Formulates appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office
- Develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts.
- Promoting dialogue between financial service providers, clients, and government representatives about meeting needs and about sustainability
4. Other duties/additional tasks
The position holder will support the project with any additional task if necessary, e.g. she/he
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership
- Supports the project with translation duties and any additional tasks if deemed necessary.
- Contributes to the development of communication material and presentation supports.
- Taking minutes of meetings
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. economics, finance, banking etc.)
- At least 4 years of professional experience in financial service, MSMEs, supporting and developing financial products and services.
- Experience in providing technical assistance to financial institutions
- Familiarity with financial systems and actors in Iraq, and digital financial services
- Experience in stakeholder management (government, NGOs).
- Strong organisational skills with attention to details and deadlines regarding effectiveimplementation, planning, monitoring and evaluation of a project activities
- Management experience of contractors is an advantage
- Ability to work in complex environments under tight deadlines
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Arabic; working knowledge of German is an asset
- Diplomatic approaches and cultural sensibility are a prerequisite
- Self-reliant, proactive and responsible personality; willingness to assume additional responsibilities and develop new activities.
- Excellent writing, presentation and communication skills.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Tasks require constructive creative thinking, sometimes also conceptual initiative
- Microsoft Office software literacy including ability to use the advanced functions to create reports and customized spreadsheets for financial analysis and management reporting purposes.
- Ability and willingness to travel within Iraq including to Norther Region and abroad for limited periods.
- Team player, proactive and responsible personality, innovative and flexible.
Requirements for application:
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-FI21-165) Project Coordinator – Financial Inclusion
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered