Job Title Project Coordinator Economic Advice
Reports to: Head of Field of Action
Duty Station Baghdad
The GIZ Private Sector Development & Employment Promotion Project (PSD) supports the government of Iraq to develop its private sector with the objective to create more job opportunities for young people. GIZ is a fully German government owned organisation active in 130 countries with over 21.000 employees. More information about GIZ are accessible via www.giz.de.
The duty station for this position is the GIZ Baghdad Office.
The PSD project is looking for a project coordinator, who has collected work or education experiences abroad. We are a motivated, dynamic, and idealistic team which welcomes personalities with similar qualities.
Private sector development and employment promotion are among the top priorities of the Iraqi Government, while addressing the economic consequences of the Covid-19 pandemic and creating a solid basis for sustainable economic growth. The PSD project is mandated to support the Iraqi government in economic policy reforms and to help young Iraqis find jobs, particularly in the private sector.
As part of its approach to foster private sector company growth, the project implements a field of action on economic transformation and fact-based policy development. The project coordinator will facilitate the project implementation in central Iraq and KRI under the steering of the project’s management team. The candidate will assist the project to identify new beneficiaries and partners as well as to maintain excellent work relations with existing ones. A special focus will be on coordination with existing GIZ measures and connected international donors. The position will allow for a significant level of creativity but also demands dedication to our objectives, diplomatic skills, and self-reliance.
1. Planning and preparations
The position holder
- Supports the implementation of the project’s operational plan in coordination with the line manager. This may include the full responsibility for certain activities according to the standard project cycle. A special focus will be on process development and reform.
- Is responsible for results assessment according to GIZ standard M&E schemes with the preparation of reports and public relation material.
- Conducts desk and field research, collecting and assessing data and information.
- Conceptualises activities, writes ToRs, minutes of meeting, reports & procurement documents, guiding analysis and assessments and reviews texts
The position holder
- Provides local and international, practical, and academic knowledge to the project planning process.
- Identifies relevant stakeholders (universities, researchers, think tanks, research institutions) in the field of economics/ politics/ development.
- Assesses the capabilities in economics/ empirical methods of (potential partners) and develops trainings based in these assessments.
- Conducts regular analyses on the economic situation of Iraq and produces briefings for different stakeholders.
- Supports partners of the project in economic discussions.
The position holder
- Serves as activity coordinator to political partners (i.e. MoP, PMO), local and international universities, and beneficiaries. This includes the creation of a strong network, continuous needs assessments, enabling project activities, communicating approaches.
- Represents the project and its activities in coordination with the line manager, built- up and cares for relationships (stakeholder mapping), identification of potential future cooperation partners.
- The position holder will support the government relation matters of the project.
- The position holder will support the project with any additional task if necessary.
- Master’s degree in economics, finance, business, political or social sciences or other relevant fields (strong focus on economics, if the degree is in a different field)
- Study or work experiences abroad is an advantage.
- Background in consultancy is an advantage.
- Diplomatic and socials skills are expected.
- Work experience in international development cooperation organisations is an advantage.
- Above average academic Arabic and fluency in English are mandatory (written and spoken). Kurdish is a strong advantage, knowledge in German is beneficial.
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Experienced networker
- Self-reliant, proactive, and responsible personality, innovative and flexible
- Ability to travel within Iraq and internationally is required
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-PSD21-123) Project Coordinator Economic Advice
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.