About GIZ and GIZ Iraq
As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world.
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH has been working in Iraq since 2014 and has maintained a country office in Baghdad since 2018. On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Federal Foreign Office (AA) and the European Union (EU), GIZ is working on the three priority areas in Iraq. GIZ offers support in Iraq to help refugees, internally displaced people and host communities improve their living conditions. Here, the aim is to promote social cohesion, create income opportunities and revitalise the local economy. In addition, GIZ has adopted a holistic approach to help improve the country’s economic policy framework. It also promotes the employment and economic prospects for young Iraqis. These measures are being implemented in the autonomous region of Kurdistan and in central Iraq. To ensure that Iraqis have better access to public services in future, GIZ is also supporting the decentralisation of the Iraqi administration. The aim is to improve organisational structures and work processes at various
About the Project
The Global Programme “Programme Migration for Development” (PME) is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) to establish migration advice structures in twelve partner countries of German Development Cooperation.
The focus of the component “Migration Advice” is to provide counseling services for returning migrants and to those interested in migrating. Migration advice includes counseling services and information on vocational and educational programs and employment opportunities in the country of question. For this purpose, counseling services are tailored to each individual and kept open-ended. Apart from assessing each case individually and subsequent referencing and counselling services, the programme provides tailored support and qualification measures.
The Project assistant is responsible for
- Providing administrative services for the programme
- Meeting the administrative needs of the office independently, with a minimum of intervention
- Support all staff members at the programme office in administrative and finance topics
- Ensuring for both offices that financial and administrative regulations are complied with
The Project assistant performs the following tasks:
The Project assistant
- Ensures that information is exchanged between project/programme staff
- Accompanies the project/programme manager or other team members to meetings if necessary
- Prepares and organises internal meetings
- Coordination function between GMAC-Baghdad, Career Centre Erbil and GMAC-Erbil regarding first level approach
- Support Project’s Advisor with coordination with the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs
- Conducting visits to our partners at the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs whenever required.
- Responding to PME clients’ messages at GMAC Baghdad Facebook pages
- Provide documents translations whenever necessary.
- Acting as HR Focal Point for both GMAC Baghdad and Erbil.
- Acting as RMO focal point.
The Project assistant
- Is responsible for organising administrative and logistical aspects of project activities (meetings, workshops etc.)
- Coordinates with the GIZ office on the mode of service delivery
- Monitors the availability of accessories and stocks and carries out procurement in accordance with guidelines
- Identifying relevant problems and issues and assisting in formulating implementation-oriented solutions
- Travel arrangements for personnel, groups and other GIZ partners, including scheduling flights and ground transportation, booking accommodations and handling any other trip-related tasks
- Is responsible for filing documents in reference files or in DMS in line with GIZ’s filing rules
- Manages confidential files, specifically in the areas of personnel and finance
- Responsible for proper maintenance of the office facilities, maintenance log and general upkeeping.
- Step-in in tender-openings for the procurement and contracting Unit if necessary
Finance and accounting
The Project assistant
- Close coordination and cooperation with the projects finance management unit
- Supports prepare programme budget planning
- Helps monitor expenses in accordance with the budget
- Bank accounts, preparing and entering vouchers
- Checks travel expense statements of staff for approval by the superior
- Liaising with other Units in monitoring communication and interaction between governmental institutions, NGOs and society by analysing the media, engaging in direct dialogue, and participating in meetings and seminars etc.
Other duties/additional tasks
The Project assistant
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- Responsible for visitor management of the GMAC Baghdad
- First point of contact to returnees and visitors of the GMAC Baghdad and referred beneficiaries from the Ministry of Migration and Displacement as well as the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, both on the phone and in person manages incoming and outgoing correspondence (post, fax, email) and prioritises and organises it
- Responsible for registering all new clients in the Case Management Tool.
- Submitting the monthly SBE & SSBE reports.
- Responsible for the client visitors follow up sheet.
- Updates the GMAC Baghdad client’s tracker as well as the CMT back-up list whenever necessary.
- Contacting clients before their referral whenever requested.
The Project assistant must have an excellent level of organization, the ability to understand complicated logistical information and high attention to detail. Furthermore, they also need to be able to communicate with employees, supervisors and travel agencies with professionalism, clarity and accuracy. In addition to these general skills and personal characteristics, employers are looking for a Project assistant with the following skills.
Core skills: a Project assistant, focus on mastering the following:
- Outstanding interpersonal communication
- Working knowledge of the travel industry
- Understanding of travel policies and regulations
- Negotiation skills
- Ability to maintain and manage vendor relationships
- Experience with coordinating travel arrangements.
- Experience working in the travel industry.
Firm grasp of digital data and file management systems
Required qualifications, competences, and experience
- Bachelor’s degree or in economics or related field
- At least 2 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Outstanding communication skills
- Excellent command of English language, ideally a knowledge of German
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Important notes for your application
The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-PME22-121) Project Assistant Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
The use of GIZ templates is mandatory, all applications that do not use the template will not be evaluated.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.
GIZ templates for applications