Program Manager _ Erbil
Fulltime- Long term contract
The purpose of the Iraq Governance and Performance Accountability (IGPA) project is to advance effective, accountable, and transparent governance in Iraq. This USAID effort, implemented by DAI, works with the Government of Iraq (GOI) at all levels to better respond to citizen needs by supporting reform initiatives and Iraqi change agents on inclusive governance and public sector transparency, accountability, and economy. “Reform initiatives” includes support to improve service delivery functions, public financial management, and open government initiatives. IGPA will support the GOI and the citizens of Iraq in forming partnerships and collaborative efforts to solve problems jointly. IGPA has four (4) objectives:
1. Enhance GOI service delivery capacity
2. Improve public financial management
3. Strengthen monitoring and oversight of service delivery and public expenditure
4. Support Iraqi change agents (cross-cutting objective)
Established under a separate task order, the IGPA Ninewa Investment Facilitation Initiative (NIFI) aims to increase employment through demand-driven private sector-led economic growth, originally in Ninewa Province but more recently in 6 additional target provinces in Iraq. The objective is to increase employment and economic opportunities by helping the private sector, including small and medium enterprises (SMEs) as well as larger, developed businesses, attract investment.
NIFI works with existing USAID funded programs, government institutions, and the private sector to promote increased competitiveness and investment opportunities for Iraqi businesses. Helping Iraqi businesses generate new investments requires an approach that bridges information gaps with potential investors, as well as builds the capacity of Iraqi businesses to increase their investment readiness. In Iraq, information asymmetries or mismatches between investor requirements and business investment readiness hinder investment capital from flowing. NIFI helps develop, promote, and publicize Iraqi business investment opportunities in order to expand employment opportunities.
NIFI also seeks to work with regional and national investment commissions to introduce strategic plans to implement legislative and regulatory reform, conduct market assessment maps for select value chains, and develop sustainable firm level technical assistance programs. Investment commission strategic plans will serve as road maps for transforming the commissions to play a proactive role promoting investments and creating jobs.
The Program Manager will support the Team Leader to implement the workplan tasks and activities as directed in addition to supporting the Team Leader to manage staff activities and movements as required. The Program Manager will be extensively involved in the technical application of the project in addition to overall administration, communications and management.
Additionally, the professional in this position will work closely with the Investment Coordinator, Firm Level Support Coordinator, Sector Support Coordinator, BDS Coordinator, as well as the M&E Reporting Officer, and is expected to travel throughout Iraq occasionally to engage in capacity building, technical assistance and training activities in support of colleagues as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Program Manager shall:
- Support the implementation of workplan tasks and activities in addition to supporting the Team Leader in managing staff activities and movements as directed.
- Support and leverage Provincial Investment Commissions to increase direct investment of Iraqi businesses through capacity building support.
- Provide firm-level assistance and Business Development Services (BDS) trainings to SMEs and agribusinesses.
- Liaise with other USAID supported projects as required.
- Support approximately 5 local staff members and international experts as required to expand TO4 operations in Basrah, Anbar, Wasit, Najaf, Baghdad, and Ninewa.
- Interact and coordinate with IGPA Provincial Coordinators and Regional Managers as appropriate to facilitate TO4 activities in the above provinces.
- Identify and interact with local businesses, national and provincial government officials, international investors, and investment commission staff as required.
- Build local staff capacity to implement private sector development initiatives independently.
- Oversee reporting requirements for task order, weekly reports, annual report, and final report. Support technical team in developing key messages and oversee the development of project reports for submission to USAID.
- Work with project technical leads to support visible project implementation and effectively communicate project impact to beneficiaries and stakeholders.
- Assist in the maintenance of a database of SMEs and other data collection as directed.
- Support IGPA/Takamul with other private sector support initiatives conducted under the base contract as required.
- Other tasks as directed by the TO4 Team Leader.
- An MBA or master’s degree in a related field is highly preferred.
- Successful track record of performance in above mentioned duties and responsibilities.
- Minimum of 8 years or more of progressively responsible experience implementing private sector development work.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience on USAID-funded projects.
- Management experience, including direct supervision of professional and support staff.
- Demonstrated project management skills; highly-organized and detail oriented, and ability to initiate, coordinate, and complete activities with minimal oversight.
- Willingness to travel throughout Iraq as required.
- Well-developed analytical writing skills, communications, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to consistently meet reasonable deadlines.
- Proficiency with MS Office software.
- Proficient in TAMIS project management software highly valued.
- Strong written and spoken English and Arabic required.
- Must have legal right to work in Iraq.