Program Development Officer
Ta’afi is a United States Agency for International Development Office of Transition Initiatives (USAID/OTI) program implemented by Chemonics International in Iraq. ICRI-Ta’afi aims to increase stability in Iraq by improving conditions that allow for durable returns in areas liberated from ISIS while mitigating discrete emergent challenges that threaten overall stability.
Long-term Local Professional, Cooperating Country National
Reporting and location:
This position will report to the Program Manager and the position is based in Southern Iraq.
- Closely monitors political, social, stability, economic development, and other developments within area of responsibility to inform program strategy, partner selection, and activity development; shares information widely and rapidly to build shared situational awareness and program contextual understanding
- In close partnership with PCs, leads program development in a discrete geographic area
- In close partnership with PCs, identifies potential partners through networking and outreach, and work with them to design and develop grant concepts
- Prepares, presents, analyzes, and evaluates grant concepts, applications, and grant agreement/award documents to ensure consistency with program priorities, goals, and objectives
- Communicates widely through the GMU to ensure robust shared situational awareness; actively engage peers and colleagues in development process and provide continuous feedback to team members
- Consults with other program members in the development of activities to ensure sound design, based on lessons learned and that are aligned with programmatic objectives
- Coordinates and liaises with other USG implementing partners and donors in programming areas
- Provides technical input/oversight during activity implementation to ensure the activity adheres to the original design and objectives
- Supports partner capacity building as required, including during development, including supporting grantees to design outreach plans, ensuring realistic and feasible implementation plans, technical specifications for in-kind procurements; and developing a branding and communications strategy
- Uses the Activity Database to document and monitor activity updates, in close coordination with other team members
- Updates team members on the status of pending activities under development as well as developments under cleared activities in coordination with other members of the team
- Participates and provides input into the development of the program strategic framework, objectives, and proposes concepts for yellow light.
- Undertakes other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in development, social sciences, or related field required. Master’s degree in a related field preferred
- A minimum of three years of pertinent professional experience
- Strong organizational, management and administrative skills
- Demonstrated analytical ability and understanding of local and regional contexts, with the ability to think creatively in conceptualizing relevant grant activities
- Ability to obtain knowledge and assess capabilities of local and international NGOs, community- based organizations, interim governing structures, and media outlets implementing relevant activities and programs in Iraq
- An up-to-date understanding and knowledge of the political environment and social conditions in Iraq
- Experience and/or good understanding of donor organizations
- Ability/willingness to travel throughout Iraq
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to prioritize multiple work assignments in an extremely fast-paced environment, to meet deadlines, and to exercise good, professional judgment that communicates the established message of the program
- Working proficiency in office computer applications, including MS Word, and Excel
- Fluency in written and oral Arabic and English is required; Written and oral fluency in other local languages is a plus, but not required
Equal employment opportunities:
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
- Contract period: 12 Months with possibility of extension
- Salary: The salary of this position falls under band FSN-09
- The selected candidates will be vetted.
Chemonics Iraq offers a fair, competitive, and transparent recruitment process. We are promoting the health and well-being of our staff and their loved ones. We are just as committed to creating an environment that encourages professional learning and growth. Our benefits include:
- Health insurance for its full-time fixed-term employees and their dependents (spouse and children) at no additional cost. The health insurance Chemonics provides is an exclusive package with wide network in different cities within Iraq. The employees and their dependents can visit hospitals and receive treatments with no payment.
- Life insurance for the employee at no additional cost
- Resilience Support Program at no additional cost
- Annual professional development fund for approved trainings for each employee.
- Online platforms for language and technical skills development (Mango Languages and Degreed)
- Contribution to Social Security scheme.
Due to high number of applicants only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications are due by 10 November 2021. To apply, please submit your application through this link only: