The Baghdad Business School is a non-profit higher education organization dedicated to preparing Iraqi youth to build successful careers, start their own businesses, as well as contribute to an open and inclusive society and prosperous economy. BBS offers the one-year certificate-granting program called Business Foundations, which includes instruction in English language, business, and soft and professional skills. Business Foundations is an innovative, high-quality education and employment program that uses progressive teaching methods that are student-centered and discussion-based. BBS enrolled its first cohort in October 2020, and since then, it has graduated two cohorts of Iraqi youth who have gone on to build their own businesses or find entry-level jobs with Iraqi and international companies operating in Iraq.
BBS has a strong commitment to providing women students and graduates with opportunities to succeed. All BBS activities should be seen designed, implemented, and evaluated through a gender focused lens.
BBS is hiring two Program Assistants to work with the Program Manager to implement BBS programs across multiple departments, such as Admissions, Academics, Career Development, General Administration, and Fundraising and Development. Program Assistants support a broad range of administrative functions within the organization, requiring strong attention to detail and organizational skills. They also implement programming activities, dealing directly with students, instructors, and BBS staff on a regular basis. They may organize events with external guests, coordinate with a wide range of contacts, and participate in public activities. Program Assistants provide great customer service to BBS students and colleagues and demonstrate strong problem solving abilities to ensure programming continues and students succeed in the program.
The ideal candidate would be a self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize conflicting tasks. Program Assistants should have a genuine interest in and commitment to improving the education sector and employment opportunities for Iraqi youth, including women students.
The Program Assistant works closely with the Program Manager to ensure successful implementation of BBS activities. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing day to day administrative tasks.
- Maintaining proper financial and human resources records, working with the BBS Accountant and BBS Program Manager.
- Implementing the admissions campaign with the Recruitment Coordinator.
- Participating in the marketing campaign.
- Supporting career development and professional development activities, including activities focused on women students.
- Planning school events and activities.
- Working with students to resolve academic and personal issues that threaten their participation.
- Liaising with students and faculty about academic programs.
This is a full-time position located in Baghdad, Iraq. Program Assistants work Sunday to Thursday during regular business hours. However, some evenings and weekend work will be required. While Program Assistants have primary responsibility for supporting administrative and academic program activities, the successful candidate should also be a Team Player and support other sections and colleagues as needed. BBS is a young and growing educational institution, requiring that all staff and faculty show flexibility and professionalism in supporting the organization and helping students achieve their goals.
BBS staff work at the BBS office and telework from home as conditions require. Travel within Baghdad will be required.
Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree is preferred.
- Skilled in Google Office and MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) software programs.
- 1+ years professional work experience is preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Self-motivated and very proactive.
- Strong time management skills; organized and able to manage multiple projects; able to prioritize overlapping tasks.
- Proficiency in English (Intermediate).
- Good communication skills, verbal and written.
- Able to interact in a professional manner with a broad range of contacts including private sector business professionals, students, staff and faculty, alumni, and higher education officials.
- Good customer service skills; able to solve problems and communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated team player, committed to working collaboratively with colleagues, students, and external contacts.
- Strong commitment to the BBS mission and ability to deliver effective programming that helps BBS graduates build skills and find jobs in the private sector.
Background Knowledge, Experience, and Interest
An ideal candidate will have demonstrated background knowledge, experience, or interest in some of the following:
- Private sector landscape in Iraq
- Iraqi youth and the education/employment environment, especially for women students
- Human Resources, Administration, and Finance
- Career development and job training programming
- Gender equity
- Program recruitment and admissions
- Project design and implementation
- Academic and personal counseling
- Development and outreach; partnership building
To apply for this job, send a CV and cover letter, in English, no longer than one page explaining your interest and relevant background.
Note: We will only respond to the candidates who successfully reach the interview stage.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity
Baghdad Business School provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, or marital status. We also strive to achieve equal employment opportunities in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs. Baghdad Business School is committed to fostering a diverse workforce and encourages men and women to apply.