Ninewa Governorate in Northwestern Iraq continues to be severely affected by the aftermath of the occupation by the terrorist organization Islamic State (IS) and the subsequent liberation struggles. The public social and productive infrastructure is still partially or completely destroyed. Reconstruction has so far only taken place to a limited extent and only in certain areas. There is no strategic planning for physical and economic reconstruction at neither a local nor national level. The local administrative structures are largely incapable of action and cannot fulfil the state's obligations to care for the population. As a result, access to public social services is very limited. Formerly existing economic structures, which provided the basis for livelihoods and income generation opportunities, have been destroyed by the harsh consequences of the conflict. The GIZ project “Strengthening resilience in dealing with crises and conflicts in Ninewa, Iraq (SRN)” aims to strengthen the resilience of vulnerable populations through the construction and rehabilitation of basic public social infrastructure, livelihood activities, as well as peacebuilding measures. Furthermore, the project adopts a context and conflict-sensitive approach in all fields of action. Thereby, the project aims at conceptualizing the relevant connection between so called “hard components” e.g., construction and “soft components” including programming in conflict transformation, promoting peaceful coexistence, and strengthening social cohesion in Ninewa, particularly on a local level.
Responsibilities - The Peacebuilding Advisor will be responsible for:
1. Conceptualize and design new project activities in the field of social cohesion, especially in the field of peace education. This includes:
- Drafting concepts for new project activities
- Preparing contract documents (terms of reference, budget calculations, etc.) and coordinate the contract tendering processes
- Seeking suitable implementing partners
2.Support the management and steering of implementing partners, such as NGOs and service contracts and international consultancies.
- Ensure quality control of the peacebuilding activities carried out by implementing agencies and contractors
- Ensuring that activities are aligned with the overall GIZ SRN project objectives and German Development Cooperation strategies
- Ensure that projects are implemented in an effective, time-bound manner
- Ensure that project activities are monitored correctly, yield planned results and achieve intended impacts
- Ensure that project activities are carried out in compliance with GIZ standards and regulations
3. Continuous advisory on technical approaches on local peacebuilding and social cohesion:
- Advise governmental and non-governmental partners on approaches for peacebuilding
- Advise and technically steer implementing partners on approaches to peacebuilding, dialog, mediation, etc.
- Advise the peacebuilding team and the head of component on approaches such as dialog, negotiation, community consultation, peace education and other conflict transformation approaches
1. General work experience
- 6 years of work experience in the humanitarian, development, or peacebuilding sector in Iraq
2. Specific work experience
- 4 years of experience, supporting local peace processes, peace building, and social cohesion work in Iraq, in relation to Ninewa province.
- Proven experience in advising on technical topics of peacebuilding and social cohesion. Technical knowledge on negotiation, mediation are a must and need to be proven by specific work experience
3. Language skills
- Excellent English skills (C1), with proven ability to communicate adequately in a sensitive and demanding context, including with international organizations, consultancies and political partners
- Excellent Arabic skills (C1)
4. Soft skills
- Impartial and objective approach towards working in a sensitive environment with many conflicts of interests between different identity groups and the capacity to intervene as an independent stakeholder
- Team player, willingness to coordinate and collaborate with all members of the peacebuilding component, the overall SRN project team, horizontally (between colleagues of the same level) as well as vertical (with head of project and head of component)
- High motivation to contribute to peacebuilding in Ninewa and to achieve high quality impacts under tight timelines
- Willingness to contribute to a fast-paced team and being flexible to ever-changing contextual implementation context and the associated challenges
- Being open to learn and to keep learning new skills, being able to innovate and conceptualize new project activities in a creative way
Requirements for application:
- Kindly send a motivation letter as part of application, answering those three guiding questions:
- What do you identify as the biggest challenges to social cohesion in Ninewa
- How would you like to contribute to addressing this challenge in order to increase the resilience of the communities in Ninewa
- What would you like to contribute to the GIZ SRN team, thereby utilize this position to achieve the objective you specified?
- The subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered