Successful candidate will be contracted by VNG International Iraq, the Iraq office of VNG International (the agency for international cooperation of the Association of Netherlands Municipalities). VNG International Iraq specializes in supporting municipalities and subnational governance bodies.
MASAR for Local Governments is a programme funded by the EU MADAD trust fund. The overall aim of the programme is to strengthen the long-term resilience of targeted subnational governments and their host, refugee and IDP populations to deal with displacement. Subnational governments in Iraq and Lebanon have been the first to be confronted by the repercussions of the Syrian refugee crisis: increased pressure on local services, competition for local employment opportunities, corroding social cohesion, faster urbanisation trends, rent-seeking behaviour and inflation due to externally injected funds in the local economy, and so forth. MASAR for local governments therefore focuses on the urban setting, which is the background of processes of displacement, investment, employment and service delivery. Displacement has a fast-forward effect on urbanisation, and it also greatly affects the relationships of cities and towns with their more rural surroundings.
The programme in Iraq aims to help municipal and governorate bodies in Dohuk and Ninewa. MASAR has three objectives:
To improve the capacities of subnational governments to engage in holistic, area-based planning and consider different scenarios that respond to the needs of host, refugee and IDP populations.
To improve service delivery to generate greater social stability outcomes, based on the needs of host, refugee and IDP populations.
To empower subnational governments and service providers to facilitate local economic development and to have better access to municipal investment that benefit the extension of safe public services and create economic opportunities for host, refugee and IDP populations.
Aim of this assignment
The Office Manager / Logistics / Procurement Assistant supports the technical assistance team in the day-to-day management of the project, coordinates and prepares the logistics for events, coordinates and prepares the documentation and logistics for procurement, and ensures a good flow of communication and coordination with the different partners, as well as other related duties under the direct supervision of the VNG International Iraq Manager.
More specifically, the key responsibilities of the Office Manager / Logistics Assistant include:
- Manage the project’s office: taking care of its set-up and adequate functioning;
- Perform general secretariat’s functions, such as being the first person-of-contact for external parties, answering general emails, telephone calls etc.;
- Assist in liaising with the beneficiary and project stakeholders;
- Prepare letters, memoranda, faxes and emails;
- Assist in writing reports and preparation of documents;
- Perform the scheduling and logistics of events (trainings, workshops, seminars, conferences);
- Perform the scheduling and logistics required by international and national experts;
- Prepare the content, and perform the production and dissemination of a set of visibility and promotional materials, including banners, flyers, press releases, developing storylines, etc.;
- According to the MASAR (PRAG 2016) procurement procedures, prepare the tender and procurement documents, establish technical and financial evaluation commitees, and manage and monitor procurement processes;
- Assist the contract negotiation and preparation of contracts with suppliers;
- Organise procedures to assure timely submission of all required documents;
- Collect all documents for each procurement file, ensure the completeness of procurement documentation;
- Prepare/collect the financial accounting documents to facilitate the financial operations at payments, payroll, banking and bookkeeping to comply with international accounting, professional standards, and budget & cost control procedures in order to meet related auditing requirements and local laws.
Outputs / Deliverables
The Office Manager / Logistics / Procurement Assistant will provide (at least) the following outputs/deliverables:
- Adequate functioning of the project’s office;
- Adequate logistics around short-term experts’ visits and project events;
- Take part in meetings, workshops and seminars when requested;
- Minutes of meetings;
- Visibility and promotional materials and their dissemination (e.g. banners, flyers, posters);
- Provide public information on the programme (drafting and distributing of press releases to notify local and regional media contacts for key project activities; drafting statements and talking points; organizing press visits);
- Develop storylines, project material and success stories for publications, press releases, newsletters and articles contributing to debates on key project issues;
- Perform interpretation and translation-related tasks when required and necessary;
- Products related to the tasks and responsibilities with a focus on Procurement as outlined in the Description of Action (DoA) and the Procuement Manual, especially the completeness of the Procurement file for each Purchase;
- Adequate technical and content procurement arrangements such as Tender Dossier, Call for Proposals, invitation distribution, RSVP, evaluation committee, visibility materials, agenda and certificates;
- Adequate contributions to technical procurement reports.
The Office Manager / Logistics / Procurement Assistant will work in close collaboration with the Iraq VNG International Manager and other members of the MASAR team in Iraq: Front Officer, Community Outreach Officer, Finances Manager, and the VNG International home office staff to ensure alignment of the activities.
On the basis of templates provided by VNG International, the Office Manager / Logistics / Procurement Assistant will draft monthly activity reports with a focus on the Visibility/Communication activities and Logistics for specific events and short-term experts’ missions in line with the implementation of the action.
The minimum qualifications and skills of the Office Manager / Logistics / Procurement Assistant are as follows:
- A Bachelor degree or a relevant completed university background (e.g. organisation management, international relations, public administration).
2. Professional Experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience with office management, preferably in the context of EU-funded projects
- Minimum 5 years of experience in organising events, preferably in the context of EU-funded projects
- Working experience with or within a local/regional government is a distinct asset
- Knowledge of the local context
- Proficient in English
- Proficient in Kurdish, and preferably Arabic.
Terms and Conditions
Period of the assignment
From 11 February 2020 until 10 February 2021 with 2 months probation period. The position is full time. Renewable.
Location of the Assignment
The Office Manager / Logistics / Procurement Assistant will be based in Dohuk, with occasional travel to Erbil and Ninewa.
Deadline for applications:
8th of February 2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.