Title: Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Officer
Reports to: Project Director
Duty Station: Baghdad
The “Financial inclusion for a new economic start and integration in Iraq” (FI) Project in Iraq is a multi-donor action commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), co-funded by the European Union (EU) and implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH.
The project aims to sustainably improve financial inclusion and access to inclusive financial services for vulnerable target groups such as women, youth, people affected by poverty, internally displaced persons (IDPs), returnees, refugees and micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs). The project has four Outputs, (1) “Developing inclusive financial services”, (2) “Enhancing awareness about inclusive financial services and the financing of renewable energies”, (3) “Strengthening the capacities of the Central Bank of Iraq to promote and regulate inclusive financial services”, and (4) “Improving conditions for women-led businesses to access financial services.”
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federal enterprise with worldwide operations. GIZ supports the German Government in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ is also engaged in international education activities around the globe. Through our work we assist people and societies in shaping their own future and improving living conditions. GIZ has more than 22,000 staff around the globe and operates in about 120 countries worldwide.
The position is in a motivated, dynamic, and mission-driven team which welcomes personalities with similar qualities. We are looking for people who can think outside the box and walk the talk.
The position holder is responsible for
• supporting the international M&E and Communications Advisor in the duties of monitoring and evaluating project activities and results on FI project activities to ensure smooth reporting of the project to its commissioners (BMZ/EU).
• processing technical and coordination aspects of the implementation of daily operational aspects of the result-based monitoring (RBM) system as well as surveys, studies, external service providers and experts according to GIZ standards.
• ensuring and maintaining a very good project documentation, diligent data management and result presentation are a significant part of the job. In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
1. Operational support
The M&E Officer:
▪ regularly follows-up with M&E Focal Points of the project on results and activities reporting,
▪ identifies the needs of partners, service providers and project staff regarding M&E skills and capacities, and builds them accordingly, and
▪ carries out or supports M&E activities for/with implementing partners and project staff
2. Data-Management and Documentation
The M&E Officer:
▪ manages the collection, review, cleaning and filing of sources of verification and datasets as well as aggregates and calculates respective data and information gathered
▪ assists with research activities and studies on sustainable job creation including contracting and coordinating external monitoring and evaluation experts
▪ ensures data, information, and knowledge transfer into project tools such as Wiki, tracking critical issues and lessons learned
3. Reporting and presentation
The M&E Officer:
▪ compiles relevant data and information on project activities and results concisely, suitable to respective report and in a ready-to-share manner
▪ visualises and presents the project’s results to the M&E and Communications Advisor and to the project team, if needed
▪ reviews activity reports of project staff and progress reports of partners / service providers and provides feedback on their data and information quality
▪ supports in developing presentation material for communication purposes. This includes the assistance of the project’s line managers in presenting activities and results of their field of action and / or the FI project
4. Other duties/additional tasks
The M&E Officer:
• supports the project with any additional tasks if deemed necessary
C. Required qualifications, competencies and experience
• university degree is mandatory, preferably in economics or IT/statistics-related (asset)
• at least 3-5 years of relevant occupational experience in project management
• a proven record of M&E and reporting tasks is mandatory
• experience with applied social empirical research work or business analytics is an asset
• experience with an international company or development organisation is an asset.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
• very good working knowledge of ICT technologies and digital, esp. MS Office 365 applications
• additional knowledge of visualisation / data management applications such as Power BI and / or professional in-depth knowledge of MS Excel is an asset
• tasks require diligence and detail-orientation whilst being solution- and team-oriented
• above average academic Arabic and fluent English language proficiencies are mandatory (written and spoken); German and/or Kurdish language skills are an asset.
• team player, proactive and responsible personality, innovative and flexible which includes the ability to travel in Iraq and abroad for limited periods and the willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Requirements for application:
• The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-FI22 -011) Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Officer
• Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
• CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered