MosulSpace is an innovation hub that is involved in education, innovation entrepreneurship and technology sectors. MosulSpace mission is to improve the private sector and youth skills through training programs, co-working spaces and makerspace where innovators can create and build their prototypes. We aim to promote the idea of entrepreneurship and technology in the community and support the start-ups to take the private sector to another level as well as strengthen the social cohesion through our social activities.
Mosul Space is leading the development of the innovation eco-system in Mosul, establishing the city’s first purpose-built co-working and makerspace.
The Makerspace Assistance will support the Mosul Space team work on the develop and operate Makerspace products and activities with focus on serving members of Makerspace.
• Support the Makerspace Technical lead in day-to-day management of the makerspace, including monitoring resource use and ensuring equipment is functioning and safe.
• Run introductory sessions for members of Mosulspace co-working space to use of makerspace equipment and tools.
• Provide assistance to users of the makerspace to realise projects, from concept to prototype.
• Support the Makerspace technical lead in documentation
• Assist workshops and training sessions in conjunction with the Makerspace Technical Lead topics may include:
• 3D modelling and digital fabrication
• Electronics and embedded systems
• Soft circuits and makerspace craft, traditional crafting.
• Assist Mosulspace events in and outside the space.
• Develop new projects, when time available, to demonstrate capabilities of the makerspace tools and equipment.
• Follow online maker journals (e.g. Make:Magazine) and keep database of relevant projects.
• Support the Mosulspace team to develop new concepts, particularly with relevant technical input.
• Ensure the highest possible quality and rigour, with high standards of engineering professionalism.
QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
The best applicants will combine relevant technical know-how with strategic thinking, a brilliant analytical mind, humility, excellent listening skills, good interpersonal skills and an ability to get things done.
We’re looking for a problem solver, who sees failure as an opportunity to find a better way to do it, and loves to help others do the same!
• Engineer, industrial designer, product designer or similar with bachelor’s degree of equivalent work experience.
• Experience working in teams.
• Demonstrable interest in the Iraq innovation eco-system and global makerspace movement.
• Competent with CAD software and embedded systems
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively and in a collegial fashion with people from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
• Self-starter with ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, manage budgets and achieve results through collaboration.
• Fluent in English and Arabic.
NB: We do not expect a candidate to cover every point in this list; key is evidence of an interest in ‘making’ things, and a desire to learn.
• High-level of proficiency in Electronics and Embedded systems
• Experience in circuitry and programming microcontrollers (Arduino, raspberry pi etc.), understanding of electric components and how to apply to physical design.
• Adept in relevant programming languages.
• Experience in 3D modeling and digital fabrication.
• Prior use of 3D printers, laser-cutters, CNC machines, soldering, vacuum former, moulding materials etc an advantage.
Submit a cover letter which briefly outlines the experience and skills you have which you think are relevant to this role, and why you are interested. This letter should be no more than two pages. Please submit this cover letter along with your CV by 30th Jan (applicants are highly encouraged to submit an application ASAP as interviews may start on a rolling basis)