Job Title: M&E Advisor
Reports to: USTS programme manager (disciplinary superior).
Duty Station: Erbil
The conflict between the Syrian regime and opposition forces, which began more than ten years ago, has since become increasingly fragmented and violent. The situation of the people on the ground is becoming increasingly critical amid massive human rights violations. The stabilisation project focuses on strengthening civil society vis-à-vis the regime and extremist groups by maintaining the influence of civil society actors on the ground. This is achieved through the promotion of civil society initiatives, local consultation processes, and the reintegration of marginalised groups. Due to the security situation in Syria, the project is being implemented remotely from Erbil/Iraq.
The M&E Advisor is responsible for:
- Contributing to the ability of USZS to steer its project activities effectively as well as USZS’s accountability towards its donors/commissioning parties by acting as the focal point for all M&E related tasks of the program
- Guiding, supporting and backstopping other team members of USZS in regard to their contribution to the overall M&E of the program
- Supporting and developing the capacities of implementing partner organizations regarding their M&E systems
1. Monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Maintains and further develops the program’s overall M&E system to track individual projects’ progress and contributions against the program’s indicators.
- Generates and visualizes M&E related data to support the program’s reporting (ad-hoc, interim, final) as well as internal review processes.
- Advises program management as well as technical staff on the steering and development of projects from an M&E perspective and based on the program’s indicators and logframe(s).
- Advises program management and technical staff on the evaluation of projects’ impact as well as the monitoring of potential unintended negative effects of project activities.
- Provides guidance and support to other (technical) team members in regard to the monitoring and evaluation of projects they oversee.
- Collects and harmonizes M&E related data from across USZS-supported projects.
- Advises and improves capacity of implementing partner organizations in regard to their M&E processes and tools.
- Coaches and trains implementing partner organizations on using the M&E instruments provided by GIZ.
- Develops ToR and other contracting documents for M&E related consulting services sought by USZS.
- Supports the steering of M&E related consulting services acquired by USZS.
- Liaises with other programs of the GIZ Syria portfolio on M&E related topics, including representing USZS in the Syria portfolio M&E working group.
- Supports the knowledge management of the USZS program.
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
- University degree at least at Bachelor level, ideally in a field related to the program’s work or with a strong focus on quantitative/qualitative research
- Excellent command of spoken and written Arabic and English.
- At least 3 years of direct experience in a position of monitoring, evaluation and reporting of projects with NGOs and/or donors.
- Proven experience of work in the Syrian context
- Proven experience with international organizations
- Experience in the sectors of stabilization, community dialogue, resilience-building, social cohesion an asset
- Knowledge of social, political and conflict dynamics in Syria
- Ability to work independently and with high degree of initiative
- Pro-active and detail-oriented approach to completing tasks
- Strong communication skills and team-oriented mindset
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities and to make quick and practical decisions
- Respect for and contribution to a work environment free of harassment and discrimination
Requirements for application:
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (EBL- USTS21-150) M&E Advisor
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screenshots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.