Purpose and Objectives of the Role
Axiom International Ltd is currently implementing an FCDO funded project in Iraq, covering Baghdad and Erbil. We are currently searching for a new Operations Manager (OM) to support project activities across Erbil and Baghdad. Axiom is a UK based company delivering broad range of capacity building programmes across the world. We have been operating in Iraq for over 3 years building a sustainable platform and effective relationships with local suppliers. Our activities predominantly engage with local senior officials as well as high-profile international individuals. We are now entering a new stage of delivery in Iraq and require an OM to oversee logistics and operations in country.
We expect the OM to be based in our office in Erbil with frequent travel to Baghdad. They must be able to fluently speak, read and write in English, Kurdish and Arabic. We will favour candidates who are able to start with immediate effect.
Main duties and responsibilities
- FPOs and booking management: The project works with multiple supply chain partners to operate in both Erbil and Baghdad. The OM will be expected to manage bookings for accommodation, training events, transportation, mobile security, translation of material and interpretation. They will be expected to liase with HQ staff to ensure appropriate resources are available for all bookings and supply chain partner relationships are well maintained. The OM should expect ad-hoc logistical requests from project staff and HQ staff.
- Incident Management: The OM will be responsible to update the projects Health, Safety and Security lead and Project Manager of any local incidents as outlined in the projects Health, Safety and Security Plan.
- Financial Management: The OM will be required to continually explore opportunities to increase the projects value for money. They will also be required to maintain and supervise the distribution of petty cash to team members. The OM will also be responsible in supporting the project coordinator to draft monthly invoices, this includes collecting receipts / invoices and providing justifications for variances in spend.
- Asset Management: The OM will be responsible for the maintenance of the project's asset log. The project will be required equipment for beneficiaries as well as the team, the OM must ensure assets are handled and transferred in accordance with the FCDO’s procurement rules
- Substantial work experience working as a logistics/operations manager in Kurdistan and Federal Iraq.
- Substantial experience working with remote international teams on large scale programmes in Iraq.
- Must be available to frequently travel to Baghdad to cover operational activity in Federal Iraq.
- Experience working on projects funded by DfID or the FCDO.
- Experience of managing and transferring high value assets on behalf of institutional donors.
- Professional experience using office software package (MS Word, Excel, Teams, SharePoint, Trello etc.)
- The OM must be able to work independently and have a problem-solving attitude.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Able to resolve conflict internally and externally when working on projects.
- Resilient and adaptable to changing circumstances
- Trustworthy, reliable, professional, conscientious and accountable
To apply please send a CV and a Cover Letter (no more than one page) telling us how you meet the person specification. Late applications will not be considered.