As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH has been working in Iraq since 2014 and has maintained a country office in Baghdad since 2018. On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Federal Foreign Office (AA) and the European Union (EU), GIZ is working on the three priority areas in Iraq. GIZ offers support in Iraq to help refugees, internally displaced people and host communities improve their living conditions. Here, the aim is to promote social cohesion, create income opportunities and revitalise the local economy. In addition, GIZ has adopted a holistic approach to help improve the country’s economic policy framework. It also promotes the employment and economic prospects for young Iraqis. These measures are being implemented in the autonomous region of Kurdistan and in central Iraq. To ensure that Iraqis have better access to public services in future, GIZ is also supporting the decentralisation of the Iraqi administration. The aim is to improve organisational structures and work processes at various administrative levels.
The ‘Initiative for Rural Rehabilitation in Syria’ aims to strengthening the resilience of the civilian population in northeastern Syria. The project supports and enables agricultural groups, cooperatives and micro, small and medium-size businesses to increase food security, improve access to drinking water and strengthen socio-economic livelihoods in selected communities. Through community-based approaches and by applying different instruments and modalities of support (financing agreements, advice, trainings, OD processes, etc.), micro-, small- and medium size agrobusinesses, cooperatives and water user associations are supported in promoting sustainable local initiatives to enhance food security of the rural populations. The project is implemented from project offices in Erbil/Iraq.
The position holder is responsible for
- Supports identifying target groups for the intervention and implementation locations, and to evaluate options for modes of delivery, by factoring in risks and proposed mitigation mechanisms.
- Supports implementation partners to formulate, design, implement and manage livelihoods, resilience-building and MSME support measures in alignment with the program’s operational strategy
- Manages, coordinates and monitors livelihoods, resilience-building and MSMEs project measures along with continuous follow-up on the implementing partners’ progress
- Reviews and advises program documents and strategies on MSME support and livelihoods interventions
- Drafts technical inputs to concept notes and proposals in line with the program’s MSME support, livelihoods, and resilience-building approaches
- Contributes to program management support processes – including partnership selection process, reporting and monitoring
- Prepares work package requests for the program’s Third-Party Monitoring
- Supports the development of work plans and results frameworks
- Contributes to the organization and documentation of capacity-building measures for implementing partners and target groups
- Organizes and facilitates partner meetings and other activities
- Assists consultants to carry out their assignments related to MSME assistance, livelihoods and resilience-building measures and activities in north-eastern Syria
- Identifies needs of target groups and brings it to the attention of the component lead and/or the program manager/officer responsible for the commission
- Liaises with other programs of the GIZ Syria portfolio on MSME support and livelihoods related topics
- Build and maintain alliances and strategic partnerships with key actors (INGOs, Syrian NGOs, clusters, working groups) to ensure smooth implementation
- Participate in meetings and workshops of the Early Recovery Working Group and relevant (sub)working groups
Program management tasks
- Contributes to operational planning and cash flow management monitoring • Assists the component lead with organisational and management issues if requested
- Collects, processes and distributes relevant information, monitors communication and interaction between key stakeholders
- Identifies and disseminates lessons learnt and good practices on livelihood interventions in north-eastern Syria
- Drafts reports and presentations
- Provides data and contributes to different knowledge and document management systems of the program
Other duties/additional tasks
- The Advisor performs other duties and tasks at the request of his/her line management
- Completed higher university degree in social sciences, economics or related field or equivalent
- Five years of professional experience in a comparable position with an international development agency or non-governmental organisation
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies, related software and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Experience in the sectors of livelihoods and MSME support
- Data presentation, visualization and narrative reporting skills are an asset • Familiarity with community-driven development, conflict sensitivity, resilience and do-no harm principles is an asset.
- Knowledge of mainstreaming gender into programming
- Knowledge of expenditure monitoring and project management
- Solution-oriented, independent, structured, reliable, and thorough way of working, recognizable organizational skills, service orientation and openness to new tasks, coupled with a high level of frustration tolerance
- Respect for and contribution to a work environment free of harassment and discrimination
- Pro-active and detail-oriented approach to completing tasks, strong ability of self organization
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities and to make quick and practical decisions
- High level of social competence as well as strong team skills to work in an intercultural team
- Fluency in English and Arabic language is a must.
Important notes for your application
The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (EBL ILRS023-008) Livelihood Advisor Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
The use of GIZ templates is mandatory, all applications that do not use the template will not be evaluated.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.
GIZ templates for applications