Human Appeal International (HA) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organisation working in 25 countries around the world since 1991. Human Appeal aims to alleviate poverty, transform and empower local communities whilst championing humanity, impartiality, neutrality, and independence.
Human Appeal’s staff embody our organizational values of excellence, accountability and transparency, compassion, empowerment, and trust and respect.
In 2016 Human Appeal established an office in Iraq. HA is an INGO that provides emergency aid and services to people affected by conflict and displacement in Iraq. HA works in a variety of sectors which include; Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, Shelter, Protection and others.
The Legal Protection Officer is responsible for supervising effective protection responses for legal needs of beneficiaries, including civil documentation issues and legal counselling. The Legal Protection Officer will work with diverse communities including but not limited to persons with specific needs, IDPs, returnees, and persons with specialized protection concerns in Ninewa governorate. The position holder will primarily be responsible for implementing HA Legal Protection activities in Mosul and provides support to the Legal Protection programming in Ninewa Governorate based on the needs of the office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide legal assistance to ensure beneficiaries have access to legal counselling and assistance in addressing civil documentation issues.
- Prepare legal case files and referrals, and provide counselling services for beneficiaries in need of legal support, particularly in regards to civil documentation (including but not limited to nationality documents, PDS cards, marriage certificates, and birth certificates).
- Ensure information dissemination to beneficiaries regarding legal services and legal issues.
- Support the development of information dissemination materials regarding legal issues and legal support services in area of operation.
- Update case files, referral tracking mechanisms, and any other administrative tracking systems developed; ensure beneficiaries’ data is protected.
- Prepare all legal case files, documents, legal counselling intake forms, and referrals for weekly review supervisor.
- Provide daily verbal and written feedback to supervisor on progress, lesson learnt, achievements and gaps, issues and problems.
- Writing regular narrative and quantitative reports for the donor on activities conducted.
- Maintain and promote a positive image of Human Appeal and its activities by explaining the activities HA conducts and why HA operates in the way it does.
- Any other duties assigned by the Team Leader- Legal Protection Team.
- Relevant University degree in Law.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working as a Lawyer, with in-depth knowledge of civil documentation cases.
- Relevant professional experience, preferably in emergency and/or development context.
- Familiarity with international protection and human rights legal standards.
- Good report writing skills.
- Good verbal & oral communication skills in Arabic.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and respect for people from different cultures and backgrounds and especially those with special needs and other vulnerability.
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure, manage time and prioritize work to deadlines.
- Well-developed organizational skills.
- Punctuality and respect for rules and procedures.
- Must have strong ethos of working as a team player.
- Must be able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality regarding work-related information and data.