Location: Baghdad, Iraq
Reporting to: Head of News
IN2 is a specialist strategic communications company with a strong track record of supporting high profile clients ranging from governments and transnational institutions to private corporations. We use innovative and engaging two-way communications to connect our clients with their intended audiences in a language, manner, and medium that feels natural to them.
IN2 combines a global geopolitical outlook with a rich understanding of local grassroots sentiment to develop campaigns that deliver sustainable engagement towards positive change. Through communications, we support key issues across a range of areas including global security, development, business transformation, crisis, and media.
We help clients to develop, deliver and measure effective strategies and communications interventions, and aid with crafting compelling narratives and focused messaging. We know how to mitigate and manage complex crises and build communications platforms that improve engagement with hard-to-reach populations in challenging and high-risk environments around the world.
IN2 has become a trusted partner and advisor to our clients because our team provides a deep understanding of how to deliver intended objectives in a safe, sustainable and effective manner.
Purpose of Role
To report and write news and feature pieces, developing the production of original written content in Arabic and English.
You will produce features and news stories for digital and social platforms and contribute to developing story ideas, researching and compiling information, conducting interviews, writing and editing articles and stories.
As an integral part of the GDS Newsroom, you will help deliver the editorial output for a range of digital and social platforms. You will be good at cultivating contacts, thinking analytically and writing with polish and flair using your excellent command of Modern Standard Arabic, English and informed by your native understanding of the Iraqi dialect.
What you’ll be doing:
• Write & produce original content including news stories, multimedia features, social news, explainers, analysis, and in-depth pieces
• Contribute to the development of new ways of telling stories with a special focus on our written content in Kurdish and English
• Pitch, produce and deliver at least one monthly in-depth feature including reports from the field, multimedia elements and interviews with key decision-makers
• Undertake daily newsgathering using credible Iraqi, regional and global sources
• Contribute to deciding the daily and long-term editorial agenda
• Report from the field in Baghdad and the provinces
• Attend press conferences and other events in Baghdad and other parts of Iraq as required
• Establish and maintain a base of contacts with Iraqi officials, fellow journalists and fixers
• Liaising closely with senior colleagues and report to the Head of News and Director of Communications
• Collaborate closely with the research, digital and production teams
• Attend, and when required, lead a daily editorial conference
• Supervise the work of junior colleagues and deputise for Head of News when required
• Seek sign-off of key stakeholders for all content prior to publication
• Attend weekly, monthly and other planning and strategy meetings
• Apply the highest ethical and journalistic standards, and adhere to GDS editorial
What we need from you
Sound editorial judgement
Knowledge of Iraqi affairs together with an understanding of international affairs
The ability to work under pressure and to changing deadlines
The ability to travel to various locations in Baghdad and other parts of Iraq at short notice
Understanding of multi-media elements (graphics, pictures and video) to enhance stories
Ability to write strong headlines and captions
Excellent command of Modern Standard Kurdish, Iraqi dialects and English (essential), Arabic (desirable)
Ability to manage time and apply work priorities
A demonstrable ability to produce content for social media
Familiarity with CMS
Familiarity with WordPress
A well-established network of contacts in the media industry and beyond
PR and media relations skills
Field Producer/ Director
Basic editing on FCP and / or Adobe Premiere Pro would be an advantage
Lastly, we’re committed to hiring a diverse workforce from different professional and cultural backgrounds, and to that end, we encourage a variety of people to join our team and represent the diverse range of subjects associated with our projects.