The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with more than 23,000 employees in over 120 countries. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Our business volume is around 3.3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in achieving their objectives in international cooperation and to offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions
The government formed in Iraq in the wake of the has defined comprehensive reform measures to embark on an inclusive development path based on stable and accountable institutions and increasingly driven by the private sector. This includes public financial management and tax reforms.
The conflict between the Syrian regime and opposition forces, which began more than ten years ago, has since become increasingly fragmented and violent. The situation of the people on the ground is becoming increasingly critical amid massive human rights violations. The stabilisation project focuses on strengthening civil society vis-à-vis the regime and extremist groups by maintaining the influence of civil society actors on the ground. This is achieved through the promotion of civil society initiatives, local consultation processes, and the reintegration of marginalised groups. Due to the security situation in Syria, the project is being implemented remotely from Erbil/Iraq.
- The advisor will contribute to or, if delegated, be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of project activities. The advisor’s main tasks will include:
- Designing, implementing, and monitoring project activities, with a particular focus on measures promoting private sector development, business capacities of small- and medium enterprises and employment in the project’s implementation areas in Northeast Syria
- Independently assessing project proposals from implementing partners (local and international NGO operating in Northeast Syria) according to GIZ standards and the project’s objectives and approaches, and collaboratively working with implementing partners on new and innovative approaches
- Assessing the capacities of (potential) implementing partners and providing advice, coaching, and training to partners contributing to the development of their implementation capacities, quality and sustainability
- Ensuring a close follow-up with partners regarding the implementation of projects and activities, and contributing to the quality assurance of implemented measures ▪ Providing advisory services and capacity development for implantation partners related to private sector and economic development, technical, vocational and short-term qualification courses, internships and apprenticeships for youth and people with disabilities entering the labor market, and other topics as per the guidance of the project manager
- Supporting the monitoring and reporting on project activities as well as ensuring data and information management of the activity
- Ensuring coordination with partner organizations and relevant stakeholders, as well as other projects implementing in the same domains and geographical areas
- Supporting the development and implementation of the project’s operational plan in cooperation with the other advisors and project manager. This may include the full responsibility for certain, delegated activities such as the development of Terms of Reference for contracts, developing Bills of Quantity and specifications for procurements, writing of reports, backstopping of consultants, and other tasks
- Advising the project manager to identify new ideas and partners for implementation of activities to create and promote sustainable livelihoods, income generation and job opportunities for vulnerable groups in Northeast Syria
- Assisting all other activities implemented through the project or its implementing partners, including providing technical advice and coordination efforts
- University degree in education, social work or social sciences, economics or business administration or another field related to development interventions from an accredited academic institution
- At least 5 years of professional experience in a comparable position, with a particular expertise in private sector development, employment promotion and/or livelihoods ▪ Experienced in the coordination, development and implementation of development programming and activities
- Work experience with actors and agencies for international cooperation for sustainable development (such as UNDP, USAID, DFID, JICA, GIZ, KfW) or their contractors and consulting firms
- Proven experience in project cycle management and proposal development ▪ Proven experience in identifying, coaching and training, as well as monitoring implementing partners and their activities
- Proven experience implementing activities in relation to the Syrian conflict ▪ Proven experience in cross-border and remote interventions
- Proven experience in working in international work environment
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Native-level Arabic skills in writing and speaking
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in English, both in writing and speaking ▪ Good understanding of the current political framework and situation in Northeast Syria ▪ Good working knowledge of ITC technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, MS Teams)
- Independent and pro-active approach to fulfilling tasks
- Ability to work with trustworthiness and integrity
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- High integrity and sense for confidentiality
Important notes for your application
The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (EBL SP022-119) Junior Private Sector Development Advisor Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
The use of GIZ templates is mandatory, all applications that do not use the template will not be evaluated.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.
GIZ templates for applications