The Deutsche Gesellschaft fürInternationale Zusammenarbeit(GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 20,726 employees worldwide.
As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government–in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) –and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation.
With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
The Junior Finance Officer is responsible for:
seeing that the service in the department is provided correctly and in accordance with GIZ financial management and accounting procedures
The Junior Finance Officer performs the following tasks:
1. Financial services
The Junior Finance Officer works with the finance officer and assists him with the following:
- Ensures that incoming invoices are correctly sorted and distinguishes the invoices by currency, by mode of payment (bank or cash)
- Ensures that invoices are counter-checked, supporting documents are complete
- Ensures that GIZ validation stamp is completely signed by responsible authorized members of GIZ country office
- Prepares transfer sheets, cheques, other bank documents and ensures the correctness before payments are executed
- Makes monthly expenditure plans based on the data provided by different projects in order to secure sufficient balance through a letter of credit.
- Is responsible for administrative aspects of financial management, e.g. bank withdrawals, direct debit orders
- Delivers messenger services between GIZ CO, project finances, and a corresponding local bank.
- Exports the cash and bank data regularly in line with the imposed schedule of accounting published by the accounting unit of the GIZ country office.
- Makes regular and daily cash counting and ensures that there is no discrepancy between cash and hand and cash per journal. The same applies to bank reconciliations
- In the event of a discrepancy, he/she immediately reports this to the unit manager or the head of administration and finance
- Ensures that all travel claims and other payments are timely paid. In the case of travel claims he/she informs the recipients of travel claims per email and agrees on the date of payment.
- Maintains a clear record of travel claim payments by entering the unique data of each payment in the tracking sheet.
- Substitutes the responsible finance officer of GIZ CO in Erbil when he is out of the country due to annual leave or absences due to other reasons.
2. Invoice Check:
The junior finance officer is engaged with following
- Substitutes the respective Invoice Check Officer (IC) of Baghdad office during his/her absences
- Responsible for shipment and mailing of documents between Baghdad and Erbil offices.
- By assuming this responsibility, the clear tracking sheet, handing/taking over of documents are well maintained.
- Responsible for arithmetical check of all types of invoices in close coordination with the head of IC unit and other staff officers in Erbil.
- Maintaining proper management of original and copies of invoices in line with GIZ accounting standards. In the case of payment based on copy on an urgent basis, the established policy that is made by the country office must be followed and implemented.
- Providing scanned documents from C files to projects and other office staff when needed
- Takes over other accounting tasks assigned by the unit manager.
3. General services
The junior finance officer is responsible for:
- Ensures that proper filing for Baghdad bank accounts, regular and random cash counting, and other related documents are maintained in line with GIZ standard filing structure.
- Makes sure that discrepancy in cash balance is properly checked and informs the unit manager without any delay
- Takes over other accounting and finance tasks assigned by the unit manager.
4. Other duties/additional tasks
The junior finance officer is responsible for:
- Photocopies and scans documents as needed
- Reports without delay to the person responsible for accounting on all problems in financial administration and compliance with rules
- Is responsible for filing financial administration documents and treating information confidentially
- Keeps clear record of handing/taking over of vouchers and monthly exports with the responsible accounting officers of GIZ country office based in Erbil
C. Required qualifications, competencies, and experience
- Education: University degree in financial accounting, business administration or comparable degree in accounting.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in the field of finance and accounting with international NGOs, international organizations, or enterprises and familiar with international standards in accountancy.
- Thorough experience in working together with other administrative departments (administration, coordination, management of human resources, technical advisory services)
- Responsibility: Independent execution of tasks according to existing planning and consultation with supervisor and colleagues.
- Fluent English, Arabic, and preferably in Kurdish language proficiencies are mandatory (written and spoken).
- Being able to travel to other destinations within Iraq mainly between Baghdad and Erbil
at least 1-3 years professional experience in a comparable position
Other knowledge, additional competences
- in-depth knowledge of accounting software
- good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- very good knowledge of the European language widely used in the country, ideally a knowledge of German
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are
Requirements for application:
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-CO21-125) Junior Finance Officer
- The subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivation letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots, and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications past the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.