As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH has been working in Iraq since 2014 and has maintained a country office in Baghdad since 2018. On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Federal Foreign Office (AA) and the European Union (EU), GIZ is working on the three priority areas in Iraq. GIZ offers support in Iraq to help refugees, internally displaced people and host communities improve their living conditions. Here, the aim is to promote social cohesion, create income opportunities and revitalise the local economy. In addition, GIZ has adopted a holistic approach to help improve the country’s economic policy framework. It also promotes the employment and economic prospects for young Iraqis. These measures are being implemented in the autonomous region of Kurdistan and in central Iraq. To ensure that Iraqis have better access to public services in future, GIZ is also supporting the decentralisation of the Iraqi administration. The aim is to improve organisational structures and work processes at various administrative levels.
GIZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH) is a German development agency that provides services in the field of international development cooperation. On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GIZ is tasked with improving employment prospects in the technology sector for young entrepreneurs and job seekers in Iraq. Since 2018, the project Information and Communication Technology (ICT) - Prospects for Modern Youth in Iraq has been working with its partners to support Iraq's technology and startup ecosystem. To achieve this goal, the project promotes the establishment of innovation hubs and training in entrepreneurship and digital skills in Baghdad, Basra, Erbil, Sulaymaniyah, and Mosul - and provides space for coworking, coding, and networking within the tech community. The project also supports research and access to finance through grant matching and the establishment of angel investor networks in Iraq.
- Advise project partners on GIZ and donor communication guidelines.
- Support in the preparation of internal/external workshops and events.
- Develop a communication plan for the project.
- Create and maintain website content and social media accounts of the project.
- Prepare articles and other written products about project activities.
- Develop and implement communication campaigns on GIZ Iraq and social media channels. • Coordinate external and internal communication with head of communications. • Manage an external communications agency and follow up on deadlines.
- Bachelor´s degree in communications, journalism, political science, or related field. • Fluent in English and Arabic (oral and written), knowledge in Kurdish is an advantage.
- Attention to detail.
- Experience in developing content on social media.
- Experience in writing articles.
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Good networking skills.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize projects.
- Team player, proactive and responsible personality, innovative and flexible.
- Enjoys working in a multi-cultural team.
- Willingness to learn and up-skill.
- Willingness to travel in the different implementation areas of the project (Central Iraq and KRI).
Important notes for your application
The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH ICT23-018) Junior Communication Specialist Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
The use of GIZ templates is mandatory, all applications that do not use the template will not be evaluated.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.
GIZ templates for applications