The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a public-benefit federal enterprise that supports the German Government and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
The Communications Unit is responsible for the overall communication about and visibility of GIZ’s activities in Iraq. This includes the monitoring of national and international media, carrying out of internal and external communication measures, usage and development of digital tools and production of high-quality information formats and products.
Internal controls are the mechanisms, rules, and procedures implemented by an organization to ensure the integrity of financial and accounting information, promote accountability, prevent fraud and ensure that the established rules are applied
Internal control is an integral part of the GIZ finance and administration that ensures to regularly carry out internal control per the binding agreement between GIZ, BMZ and other donor ministries. In order to ensure the successful IC within GIZ field structure. The main duties of internal control specialist are hereunder:
A – Tasks
- Effective and efficient business operations, including the protection of the company assets,
- Ensures that proper and reliable accounting procedure is in place
- Ensures that contracting and procurements are taking place in-line with GIZ P+R and local law applicable to GIZ procedure
- Compliance with the legal provisions applicable to GIZ.
- Ensures that GIZ Iraq tax law is applied for all business deals.
- Reads, understands the GIZ chart of account and ensures that cost categories are correctly applied
- Keeps close coordination with GIZ country office Accounting, Finance, and Procurement units.
- Providing IC manual, training / workshops to project’s administration and finance and partners
- Reads, understand the construction regulation of GIZ, German construction law (VOB) and local construction policies
B – Tasks
- The internal control specialist plans the annual schedule of internal control activity
- Sharing the IC plan with respective AVs in order to agree on a solid date for conducting and IC implementation
- Selecting the list of business transactions, procurements, contracts, and other relevant files from (A – N) in line with GIZ filing structure for the period GIZ intends to carry out IC for individual projects. The IC specialist selects documents from office as well as from project’s own journals
- Conducting the IC, discussing the findings and finalizing the report including timeline for completion of measures for project.
- Maintaining comprehensive files of IC results using the standard filing structure of GIZ. This applies to hard filing and electronic filing uploaded on DMS and local serve
- Ensuring that record management and digital signatures take place in line with P+R
- Ability to travel throughout the country when conducting the IC on project locations
- In case of intensive IC, the internal Control Specialist is required to visit the project site/partner organizations for deep enquiries.
Other duties/additional tasks
The Internal Control Specialist
- Provides annual IC management report by compiling the main findings to the management of GIZ country office.
- Sets measures for the completion of findings and incorporate the completion date to the annual IC schedule.
- Sets criteria to systematic improvements in project administration
- When conducting internal control not focusing on mistakes but to provide broader compliance-oriented advice in light of GIZ P+R
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- Team player, proactive and responsible personality, innovative and flexible.
Required Qualifications and Competencies
- Education: University degree in financial accounting, business administration or comparable degree in accounting.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in the field of Finance and Accounting with international NGOs, international organization, or enterprises and familiar with international standards in accountancy.
- Thorough experience in working together with other administrative departments (administration, coordination, management of human resources, technical advisory services)
- Responsibility: Independent execution of tasks according to existing planning and consultation with supervisor and colleagues.
- Fluent English, Kurdish and Arabic language proficiencies are mandatory (written and spoken).
Other Knowledge, additional competencies
- Office Software literacy
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
Requirements for application:
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: Internal Control Specialist (EBL-CO22-051)
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered