As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world.
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH has been working in Iraq since 2014 and has maintained a country office in Baghdad since 2018. On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Federal Foreign Office (AA) and the European Union (EU), GIZ is working on the three priority areas in Iraq. GIZ offers support in Iraq to help refugees, internally displaced people and host communities improve their living conditions. Here, the aim is to promote social cohesion, create income opportunities and revitalise the local economy. In addition, GIZ has adopted a holistic approach to help improve the country’s economic policy framework. It also promotes the employment and economic prospects for young Iraqis. These measures are being implemented in the autonomous region of Kurdistan and in central Iraq. To ensure that Iraqis have better access to public services in future, GIZ is also supporting the decentralisation of the Iraqi administration. The aim is to improve organisational structures and work processes at various administrative levels
The Finance assistant / Cashier, in close coordination with the Administration and Operations Manager,
- Performs cash payments according to the GIZ internal requirements.
- Manages the cash boxes and ensures the daily booking of all financial transactions in the electronic cash and bankbooks.
- Identifies cash requirements, and processes cash withdrawals following an imprest system.
- Assists in paying out cash for travel or food allowances to participate against signatre.
- Prepares payment vouchers and ensures all relevant supporting documents are attached, checked, and stored correctly on daily basis.
- Codes all expenditures following the standard GIZ chart of accounts, or coded budget and record in the electronic cash and bank books daily and ensures weekly review.
- Compile's cash and bank reconciliations.
- Follows GIZ financial procedures and timely sends all accounting documents to the Administration and Operations Manager.
- Ensures compliance and adherence with GAAPs, GIZ policies and standard accounting practices.
2. General services
The Finance assistant / Cashier
- Reports without delay to the person responsible for accounting on all problems in financial administration and compliance with rules
- Files vouchers and documents in accordance with GIZ rules and regulations
- Is responsible for filing financial administration documents and treating information confidentially.
- Scans all vouchers regularly and submits them to the Administration and Operations Manager.
- Supports administrative and other staff to ensure cash related rules are followed.
3. Other duties/additional tasks
The Finance assistant / Cashier
- Photocopies and scans documents as needed.
- Supports in GIZ in-house event arrangements.
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
- Certificate/diploma or comparable qualification from a commercial academy (accounting)
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in Financial Administration or Accounting.
- Minimum 2 years relevant experience with INGOs or similar.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- In-depth knowledge of accounting software
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Fluent knowledge of the Arabic language
- Very good knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Important notes for your application:
The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (RA-ARILA22-091) Financial Assistant Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
The use of GIZ templates is mandatory, all applications that do not use the template will not be evaluated.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.
GIZ templates for applications