About the project
The Private Sector Development & Employment Promotion (PSD) Project in Iraq is a multi-donor action commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), co-funded by the European Union (EU), and implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. The project’s component 1 “Improving economic policy conditions for growth-oriented and investment climate” supports governmental efforts in central and south Iraq as well as the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. It provides advisory services for economic reforms to government partners and supports fact-based policymaking by promoting the inclusion of private sector representations, academic institutions, and civil society organizations in policy-making processes. Overall, this multi-donor action puts emphasis on developing the long-term abilities of its partners such as the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs.
The position is located in a motivated, dynamic, and idealistic team which welcomes personalities with similar qualities. We’re looking for people who like to think outside the box and are proactive in their approaches.
- Implement all GIZ “Economic Development and Youth Perspectives (ECON)” Cluster
- activities and closely work with GIZ CO in IRAQ to ensure efficient delivery of services in the assigned region
- Train GIZ projects local partners and enhances the capacity-building plan for that.
- Support in processing the financial transactions for local partners (Subsidies) such as processing advances and following up with the partner for settlement of the advances in line with supporting the country office.
- Support in developing local subsides guidelines and procedures with the country office and internally
- Work towards the achievement of the overall goals of GIZ through effective managerial and lateral relations
- Ensure understanding of roles, responsibilities, lateral relations, and accountabilities.
- Adhere to GIZ code of conduct and ensure confidentiality of financial and management issues.
- Abilities to effectively prioritize tasks.
- Follow all GIZ policies, procedures, grant compliance, and documentation requirements.
- Ensure compliance and adherence with GAAPs, GIZ/Grant policies, and standard accounting practice.
- Implement and ensure all GIZ financial management is implemented.
- Implement and ensure all respective donors and local Governmental rules and regulations are respected.
- Manage & account cash as per the GIZ “instructions for management of cash”.
- Keep the cash in a safe key and other assets in a secure and protected place.
- Keep a record of all cash, bank, and advances on GIZ cash books and reconcile daily.
- Do cash counts weekly and whenever needed by the Finance Manager, Programme Director, and official auditors from GIZ all according to PuR.
- Identifies cash requirements, and processes cash withdrawals.
- Codes all expenditures following the standard GIZ chart of accounts
- Scans all vouchers on monthly basis, before submitting them to the Service Unit.
- Supports administrative and other staff to ensure cash-related rules are implemented.
- Follows GIZ financial procedures and timely sends all accounting documents to the Service Unit accountant.
- Collect all authorized cash or bank payment receipts and bank statements.
- Manage and record all the bank transactions on cash book accounting software.
- Ensure all required documents for invoice check of transactions are provided, such as calculations are correct, appropriate approvals, and reviews made before any cash or bank payments.
- Match invoices/receipts with payment vouchers, GRN, and other required documents.
- Prepare cash, bank and advances reconciliations and submit them for review/approval every week and monthly as a part of the month-end close.
- Ensure a regular follow-up on the settlement of all accounts and third-party receivables.
- Keep all finance documents and reports properly archived, labeled, and stored in a clear and easily accessible manner.
- Maintain the proper filing in DMS according to PuR on a regular basis.
- Be adaptable and flexible to take on new tasks and new assignments as requested from time to time.
- Reports all problems with financial administration, procurement, and compliance without delay.
- Support project in financial planning and budgeting
- Reporting to the projects about the budget performance and expenditure update
Required qualifications, competencies, and experience Qualifications
- The ideal candidate should hold a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related area in finance & business administration is required.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of relevant occupational experience in accounting skills and experience in the general ledger, journal entries, cash/bank management, budgeting, and financial management / Grants management is required payroll is an advantage.
- Experience with GIZ or an international NGO would be preferred.
- Computer literacy skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel, and accounting software experience in Winpaccs would be preferred
- Excellent oral and written Arabic & English proficiencies are mandatory plus the German language would be an advantage.
- Willingness to travel to GIZ field offices and take temporary assignments
- Previous cash management experience preferred.
Other knowledge, additional competencies:
- In-depth knowledge of accounting software, good experience of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Team player, proactive and responsible personality, innovative and flexible. Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office) Outstanding management and communication.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures shall be agreed by the supervisor.
- Ability to be creative and strategic for effective planning, problem solving and decision making.
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Requirements for application:
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-PSD022-069) Finance Specialist
- The subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered