Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, humanitarian, non-governmental organisation providing assistance to people in need as a result of natural and man-made disasters, irrespective of race, religion, ideology or politics.
We are seeking to employ a candidate for the following position:
Field Communications Officer – Digital Media (FCO)
Place of work: Position based in Erbil, but possibility of frequent travel to Baghdad and other project locations throughout Iraq
Deadline for application: 05/10/2021
Main purpose of the job:
Social media is changing the way people find, consume and react to information. The MSF mission in Iraq continues to reinforce its digital media capacities to be able to connect with Iraqis on social media, to build an online community of followers and to better communicate about MSF’s projects and principles in the country. In parallel, it is essential for MSF to be able to document visually, through photos and videos, the conditions for people that it works with, in areas where the organization operates. This is guided by the MSF Iraq communication strategy.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Social Media Management
- Jointly with the Field Communications Manager, the Field Communications Officer (FCO) will contribute to the development of MSF social media strategy for Iraq by providing contextual advice related to social media use and the latest trends in the country.
- Maintain regular publication of contents on the MSF Iraq social media channels.
- Help MSF to expand its social media audience and engage with followers on social media as appropriate, with guidance from the Field Communications Manager.
- Encourage staff to use social media according to the MSF guidelines while at work or while communicating about work.
- Provide support for trainings on social media to projects in the field.
- Coordinate with the digital communications focal points in the MENA region and internationally to publish contents on different MSF social media channels regionally and internationally.
- Design and implement social media promotion campaigns (sponsored ads).
- Support HR departments with job promotion on the MSF Iraq social media accounts.
- Monitor and analyze online topics and trending subject which are relevant to MSF’s operations and the security context in Iraq and flag significant updates on a timely manner.
- Monitor for public mentions of MSF on social media in Iraq, and report problematic MSF mentions on social media to Field Communication Manager (FCM).
- Monitor backend analytics and evaluate engagement of followers by geographic location, demographics, etc...
- Regular reporting on social media mentions of MSF in Iraq and topics of relevance to MSF operations and security.
- Regular reporting on social media activities.
- Feed social media data and activity reports into the monthly communications department report.
- The Field Communications Officer (FCO) is expected to have role in the production of multimedia content (photos, videos, etc...) that helps MSF in Iraq bear witness and communicate the situation in Iraq, particularly issues of relevance to MSF and its patients.
- Adapt content for MSF social media accounts in English, Arabic and Kurdish, with support provided for translation where needed
- Suggest and propose innovations for content creation and increasing MSF`s social media audiences in Iraq, such as: opportunities for Facebook Live coverage, Twitter Q&A sessions with MSF senior field staff, and others.
- The FCO is the focal point for the production of information and visibility tools and products (leaflets, brochures, posters,) in coordination with project teams
- In particular, he/she will help identify the right communications tools and will adapt/translate communications materials to targeted local audiences as needed.
- In addition to collecting content, the FCO will edit and develop materials in line with MSF visual and ethical guidelines, and in coordination with HQ content production teams.
- FCO might help translate content as needed
- Work with the Health Promotion teams in the projects to develop materials for health promotion, based on needs and gaps in the projects.
- The FCO will help promote MSF external communications principles and material towards the national staff (Why does MSF communicate, what does MSF communicate about, how does MSF communicates)
- If need be he/ she can edit the production of internal communication tools (newsletter, etc.) under the supervision of the Field Communication Manager.
- When applicable the FCO will provide communication training for other staff in the mission.
- The FCO will participate in communication data-collection and reporting as required
Requirements for the role:
- University or College Degree or Certificate in a relevant field.
- Candidates without a University of College education may be considered if they possess significant additional experience (5-plus years) in social media management, monitoring and content production
- Essential: 2 years of professional experience in social media management and community building, and multimedia production
- Experience in editing photos and videos
- Experience in basic social media content production and messaging;
- Experience in social media monitoring and reporting
- Knowledge and experience in managing official Twitter accounts is highly desirable
- Essential: experience with MSF or other international NGOs in developing countries.
- Experience working in an international environment
- Essential: Fluency in oral and written English, and Arabic
- Desirable: Fluency in oral and written Kurdish.
Knowledge Essential computer literacy (word, excel and digital media)
- Commitment to the work and principles of MSF (Neutrality, Impartiality, Independence)
- Social media content creation (photography, videography, graphic designing), community building and monitoring skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work cooperatively in a dynamic organisation;
- Flexibility and ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Familiarity with social media management tools (HooteSuite, TweetDeck, Crowd Tangle, etc...) is highly desirable.
What we offer:
- Legal contract and pay in accordance with MSF Salary Grid. Level 07
- The chance to gain professional development and to develop (career path, training, etc.) within the organisation.
- The opportunity to contribute to our objective of saving lives, alleviating suffering and working with those most in need.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their complete application file (CV + motivation letter + Diploma + references + ID card), Only applications with complete documentation will be considered.
By email to MSFCH-Erbil-Recruitment@geneva.msf.org
Please indicate “FCO” in the e-mail title.
We recommend all applicants to write a cover letter containing an introduction of yourself, explaining why you are applying for the position, and explaining why you think you are suitable for the position.
In-complete applications will not be considered
Only PDF and Word Format Applications will be considered
English CVs only
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Your application will not be returned to you at any stage of the recruitment process.
We may take down this vacancy in case we’ve reached the required number of applications.