Job Title: Psychologist
Department: Empowering Women and Girls in Iraqi Kurdistan
Reports to: Project Manager
City: Duhok, Iraq
Contract Type: Full-time
Asuda for Combating Violence against Women is an Iraqi NGO dedicated to combating and eliminating all forms of violence against women and girls through an international, institutionalized and systematic approach to protect women’s rights and strengthen civil society entities in the region. Asuda seeks the attainment of a safe environment for women and other marginalized groups, free from all forms of violence and discrimination. Asuda works for a world where everyone is held accountable for their actions, and individuals can rely on the provision of legal services. Asuda works with national and international organizations to raise awareness, to continue advocating for women’s rights, and to lead projects directed at empowering women and girls in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
Position of the Psychologist aims to reduce the distress and improve the psychological wellbeing of clients. They use psychological approach and research to make positive changes to their clients' lives and offer various forms of treatment. Also psychologists often work alongside other professionals in multidisciplinary teams in order to deal with complex patient or cases’ problems. Assess and evaluate individuals' problems through the use of case history, interview, and observation and provide individual or group counseling services to assist individuals in achieving more effective personal, social, educational, and vocational development and adjustment. The psychologist will be based in Duhok, with regular travel to sites in Duhok governorate. Occasional travel to other KRG governorates may be required.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Recieiving clients/beneficiaries from IDPs, refugees and host community (up to 30%).
- Filling out host community’s intake forms for survivor/beneficiaries, and/or refer them to psychiatric to provide a proper solution.
- Devising and monitoring appropriate treatment approach, including therapy, counselling or advice, in collaboration with colleagues;
- Offering therapy and treatments for difficulties relating to mental health problems such as anxiety, depression, addiction, social and interpersonal problems and challenging behaviour;
- Work very carfully with the clients’ families both parties due to the danger of the work nature, for avoid and preventing any unexpected risk could happens.
- Assessing clients’ needs, abilities or behaviour using a variety of methods, including psychometric tests, interviews and direct observation of behaviour;
- Working as part of a multidisciplinary team alongside doctors, nurses, social workers, education professionals, health visitors, psychiatrists and occupational therapists;
- Monitoring and evaluating service provision for clients; with continuouse follow up;
- Providing consultation to other professions, encouraging a psychological approach in their work;
- Conduct field visits to the IDP, conduct interviews with camp management and health center; focus group discussions;
- Working in a confidential setting and listen attentively to their clients, empathize with, encourage and help to empower individuals
- Counselling and supporting carers;
- Formulating a psychological explanation of the client’s issues.
- Conducting seminars and workshops required according to the project outcomes.
- Documentation and filling of the clients;
- Updating and reporting to the project manager on regular basis.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced university degree in Psychology, Sociology, community development or other relevant field;
- Minimum of 3 years professional work experience;
- Experience in alternative care assessments and monitoring as well as developing research tools and questionnaires and producing good quality analytical reports;
- Proven very good communication skills with government and community members;
- Previous work experience in the region is an asset;
- Arabic, Kurdish, and English languages are required.
- Listening skills, sensitivity and empathy, patience and a calm manner, ability to cope with emotional situations, ability to relate to a wide range of people
- Demonstrate integrity by modeling Asuda’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of Asuda
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development of new skills
- Seeks and applies knowledge and best practices from within and outside Asuda
How to apply:
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and a CV attached electronically to email@example.com indicating the position they are applying for in the subject line of the email. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of their age, race, gender, ethnicity, or nationality.