Expert for Project Coordination – KfW Office Baghdad
KfW Development Bank
KfW is one of the world’s leading promotional banks. As an integral part of KfW Group, KfW Development Bank carries out Germany`s Financial Cooperation with developing and emerging countries on behalf of the Federal Government. The 600 staff at its head office in Frankfurt, Germany and about 200 specialists in more than 65 local offices worldwide cooperate with partners all over the world. Our top priorities are to improve people’s prospects for a better life, to protect the environment and to combat climate change.
KfW Office Iraq
The KfW Office Iraq has been established in 2019 with its main representative office in Baghdad and a representative antenna in Erbil. The KfW Office is a small, dynamic set-up actively supporting KfW’s interests and the German Government’s development cooperation in Iraq.
The KfW representative Office Baghdad is looking for an Expert for Project Coordination in a full-time position
Based in Baghdad, our Expert for Project Coordination is responsible for assisting in the smooth day-to-day running of project and program implementation in the infrastructure and finance sector (including water/wastewater, electricity, roads & bridges, health, private sector development, climate change). Your role will include:
- Support and advise the Infrastructure and Finance Sector Team at HQ in Frankfurt/Germany and the Country Director of KfW Office Iraq in the preparation and implementation of respective projects and programs;
- Monitor and report on relevant developments in the sectors of water, electricity, climate change, renewable energy, roads & bridges, private sector development and initiatives of other donors;
- Prepare assessments and analysis related to peace and conflict aspects
- Attend donor and partner related meetings in close coordination with the Country Director of KfW Office Iraq and the Infrastructure and Finance Sector team
- Explore and identify new project/program opportunities based on a do-no-harm-approach and new partnerships in the above mentioned sectors as well as additional sectors
- Support the implementation of project management tasks in the sector in close coordination with the respective sector team/s at HQ and the Country Director
- Support the monitoring of projects and programs under implementation and undertake regular site visits to the projects all over Iraq
- Review, comment on and contribute to project proposals, progress and monitoring reports
- Support other local KfW colleagues in their work, if and when required
- Support to missions from KfW HQ (arranging meetings, coordination of in-country field visits with partner organizations, etc.)
In addition, you are expected to:
- establish regular contact to relevant GoI institutions and liaise on matters pertinent to project implementation (in close coordination with the Country Director)
- assist with the preparation and update of PR materials on projects and KfW’s work in Iraq
- screen news/media sources and compile relevant press overviews for the Country Director and KfW colleagues
- file documents and maintain up-to date files and electronic files.
You will like this position if you are
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills and happy to be part of a friendly, small, and dedicated team
- Supportive, solution-oriented, and with a positive disposition
- Prepared to work hard in order to meet targets within certain deadlines, and understand when it is important to put in the extra mile
- Self-motivated, self-organised and with a desire to learn and embrace new topics and challenges
- Flexible and ready to think outside the box
- Prepared to take over responsibility and able to work independently, if needed.
Requirements and skills are, inter alia,
- Master level degree in economics, political/social sciences or related fields
- Fluency in English and Arabic (speaking/writing)
- German language is not required but would be an asset, wanting to learn German would be a plus
- A minimum of 3 to 5 (but preferably more) years of significant working experience with either the Government of Iraq, bi- or multilateral agencies, donors, international institutions or a large international NGO
- Profound understanding of the infrastructure and finance sector in Iraq
- Demonstrated understanding of international development cooperation, strategies, and projects (incl. gender mainstreaming and gender-related challenges, do-no-harm approaches, peace-and conflict assessments)
- Computer literacy incl. Microsoft Word and Excel, accounting software, and an affinity to database management and other systems that could increase the efficiency of our current systems
- Proven ability to build and manage successful relationships and to establish a business network
- Experience in the coordination of complex projects, especially infrastructure projects in Iraq would be an additional asset
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, intercultural competence
- Willingness to work in teams and pro-active work attitude.
- We would ideally like our new expert for project coordination to join the team by October 2022.
Contact and Application Process
- For the first stage of the application process kindly send us your resume including the names and contact details of relevant references and a cover letter letting us know why you would like to work for KfW Development Bank and what qualifies you for the position. We would also like to receive an indication of the salary you would be expecting.