Call for Letter of Expression of Interest
Capacity Building on Transitional Justice and Restorative Justice Approaches to Civil Society and GoI stakeholders in Iraq
The Support to Stabilization and Violence Prevention in Iraq (SSVPI) project of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is requesting services for organizations, consultancy firms and companies to undertake a “Capacity building program for selected civil society, community and governmental stakeholders in central Iraq on transitional justice and restorative justice approaches, methodologies and tools, and support the creation of a civil society network of transitional justice champions in Iraq”.
The Dealing with the Past component of the GIZ SSVPI project is looking to raise awareness about broader transitional justice (TJ) concepts and processes, and the value that restorative justice approaches can bring in complementing retributive approaches and criminal accountability efforts. In doing so, it wants to develop the capacity of Iraqi civil society organizations, community and national stakeholders on restorative justice approaches, incl. methodologies and tools, and in identifying the objectives, challenges, and opportunities for initiating TJ processes tailored to the Iraqi context. It also aims to increase the engagement of civil society in informing comprehensive and context-sensitive TJ initiatives and strategies in Iraq by developing a network of TJ champions in Iraq within civil society, who will help expand the reach of the initiative and participate in bottom-up dialogue exchanges on TJ processes with governmental stakeholders.
The main objectives of the service are to:
1. Increase Iraqi civil society and Government of Iraq stakeholders’ understanding of transitional justice tools and processes, with a focus on restorative justice approaches and participatory methodologies;
2. Support civil society in defining transitional justice options, with focus on restorative justice approaches, and crafting mechanisms that respond to the identified needs;
3. Establish a community-driven network of transitional justice ‘champions’ that can be involved in dialogue exchanges on transitional justice processes at national level, and can support the capacity building and design of locally-driven restorative justice initiatives in the future;
The service will focus on 3 governorates in central Iraq. Relevant areas include Ninewah, Diyala, Salah- Al Din, Kirkuk, and Anbar. The service provider will support the selection of key stakeholder at civil society and governmental level in the selected governorates, develop a capacity building strategy and training material on transitional justice and restorative approaches, and implement workshops and trainings, including Training of Trainers, in line with the objectives.
The approximate technical requirement of the service providers are as below:
• Experienced team of experts on transitional justice;
• Track record of initiatives of a similar scope and subject matter in the region, preferably in Iraq;
• Experience conducting and facilitating trainings and workshops with local, community and governmental stakeholders in Iraq;
• Experience in informing high-level policy dialogues and ability to be perceived as a neutral stakeholder across Iraq.
• Good civil society and community networks in at least 3 governorates;
• Excellent communication and writing skills in Arabic and English;
Interested companies, consultancy firms and organizations are kindly requested to express their interest for the above-mentioned services, to send a Letter of Interest with following documents:
For individual consultants:
1. The Curriculum Vitae CV
2. A copy of ID or Passport.
3. Provide a letter directed to GIZ exploring the interest to work with GIZ for above mentioned services.
4. Bank data with all details from a local bank (Bank Name, Account Holder, IBAN, account number).
5. At least three References
For Companies, Consultancy firms and organizations:
1. Introduction of the firm and the company. Org. Profile including the CVs of consultants.
2. Provide references of similar services.
3. Provide the copies of original documents defining the constitution or legal status, place of registration (Company Certificate), all documents should be updated.
4. Provide a letter directed to GIZ exploring the interest to work with GIZ for above mentioned services.
5. Bank data with all details from a local bank (Bank Name, Account Holder, IBAN, account number) Bank account must be under company name.
6. A copy of ID or Passport of the CEO.
Interested companies must submit above requirement from (I. to XII.) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject name ‘’ SSVPI – Capacity Building ‘’.
The deadline for submission is: