Position Title: Environmental Engineer/Advisor
Line Manager: Senior Environmental Advisor
Genel Energy is an independent E&P company listed on the main market of the London Stock Exchange Headquartered in London with offices in Ankara, Erbil, Sulaymaniyah, Morocco & Somaliland. Genel is one of the largest London-listed independent oil producers and is the largest holder of reserves and resources in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
This KRI based role will report to the Senior Environmental Advisor providing functionalsupport to field activities. The candidate will be required to undertake a certain amount of travel in support of the role.
Genel is an ambitious E&P company looking to maximise the value in its current portfolio and grow its position. Genel places high value on technical excellence and creative thinking in making prudent investment decisions through a project based stage gate process. The successful candidate will play a key role in this journey and will have the opportunity to materially contribute to the growth and success of the Company.
For further information about our company, please refer to www.genelenergy.com
Operate within and promote Genel Energy core values and HSE-Environmental culture.
Participate in the implementation and execution of HSE-Environmental plans and activities required in making continual and positive improvements in the field operations.
Key tasks will include:
- Maintain compliance with local and international Environmental laws, regulations & standards.
- Support implementation and maintenance of the Company environmental management system (ISO 14001), procedures and work practices.
- Participate in Environmental risk assessments to plan and execute prevention and mitigation controls.
- GHG emissions accounting and modelling capabilities (both excel and also GHG calculator), liaison with GHG reporting with external verification agencies and business partners.
- Monitor control of work to ensure that all activities are planned and executed in safe and environmentally compliant manner e.g. Permit to Work, Pre-job meeting, Waste Management, Spill Response, Biodiversity Plans, Water Management etc.
- Assist in the management at site the HSE-Environmental interface with contractors and operationalize HSE-Environmental standards.
- Provide HSE-Environmental support, monitoring and assurance for field operational activities.
- Support the development and approval of environmental impact assessments (EIAs) and related studies, plans and ESMP monitoring activities.
- Responsible to lead the spill response team under the direction of HSE team or On-scene commander.
- Assist in development and maintaining tactical spill response plans and support with training, drills and exercises.
- Asst in air quality monitoring system, equipment and reporting.
- Assist in biodiversity management plans and field activities.
- Assist in water management – record keeping, risk assessment, recycling and discharge etc.
- Participate in emergency response as needed.
- Conduct regular HSE-Environmental audits, inspections and visits across all operations and contractors.
- Assisting with the investigate into HSE-Environmental incidents to determine root causes and propose/implement actions.
- Maintain HSE department databases, activity reports or HSE department tracking documents (e.g. quality checking waste transfer notes and waste-water data logging etc).
- Deliver HSE-Environmental inductions and internal HSE-Environmental trainings; and facilitate external HSE-Environmental trainings.
- Ensure that Company HSE-Environmental requirements are clearly communicated to staff and contractors, and performance is tracked, initiating appropriate corrective actions as and when necessary.
- Assist in the implementation of Company HSE-Environmental programs and other HSE- Environmental initiatives effectively.
- Participate in regular HSE meetings with all stakeholders.
- Ensure completion of HSE-Environmental action items and share lessons with stakeholders.
- Promote HSE-Environmental culture and continual improvement journey as an integral HSE team member.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 3-year experience in HSE-Environmental field roles for international oil and gas companies.
- Engineering (Environment/etc.) degree or University Graduate in a scientific subject (Chemistry, Biology, Geography/Geology, etc.).
- Specialist qualification or higher university degree (e.g. MSc) in an environmental discipline is desirable.
- Professional qualifications or membership e.g. IEMA, NEBOSH, IOSH, preferred.
- Knowledge of industry HSE (Environmental) best practices and national and international HSE (Environmental) legislation.
- Experienced in EIAs and oil field operations for construction /drilling /production /projects, preferred.
- Fluent in English (reading, writing and speaking) .
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office Word, PowerPoint, Excel etc.
- Good problem-solving ability and a pragmatic flexible approach.
- Be able to work in remote location with minimum operations support.
Internal & External Interaction:
- The position is expected to work closely with field operations (construction / drilling / production / projects) as well as support other functions like security, logistics, C&P, administration, CSR etc.
- The job holder will have to interact with local communities on a regular basis.