About the project
The “Assisting Reconstruction and Improving Living Conditions in Anbar” (ARILA) is commissioned by BMZ to improve the conditions for better livelihoods in selected communities in the districts of Fallujah, Heet and Ramadi in Anbar governorate. ARILA’s economic component seeks to promote income opportunities through both dependent and self-dependent employment. Corresponding activities supported by the project include (i) short-term vocational training followed by job matching and placement services to improve the target group’s perspectives for dependent employment as well as (ii) a combination of vocational training, entrepreneurship / business training and business activation grants to foster entrepreneurial self-employment. The activities are implemented in concert with ARILA’s measures to rehabilitate and restore public and social infrastructure and efforts to promote peaceful and inclusive communities.
The advisor will contribute to or, if delegated, be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of component activities. Amongst other tasks, the advisor proactively:
- Maintains, manages, and initiates strategic partnerships with relevant stakeholders in the private sector (amongst others: small and medium companies, chambers of commerce, businessman unions and comparable groups in Anbar) with the aim of connecting local businesses offering employment opportunities to suitable participants in the project’s training activities
- In close coordination with the Head of Component, prepares options for supporting local micro and small businesses, business development actors and relevant institutions. This can include capacity building and organizational development to strengthen individual actors and networks
- Provides advisory services on capacity development for cooperation partners in Anbar related to the topic of business (re-)activation, business development and upscaling, and other topics as per guidance of the Head of Component
- Cooperates closely with the component’s advisor for technical and vocational education and training (TVET) in order to include business needs in supported training plans and institutions.
- Facilitates contacts to networks and individuals for the Head of Component and, if necessary, for other GIZ projects and project consultants
The advisor will be instrumental in developing and putting into action the strategic and operational plans of the component. Amongst other tasks, the advisor proactively:
- Supports the development and implementation of the project’s operational plan in cooperation with the Head of Component and other colleagues. This may include the full responsibility for certain, delegated activities such as the development of Terms of Reference for contracts, writing of reports, backstopping of consultants, and other tasks
- Advises the Head of Component to identify new ideas and partners for implementation of activities to create and promote sustainable livelihood, income generation and job opportunities for vulnerable groups in Anbar
- Assists all other employment promotion, business activation and entrepreneurship activities implemented through the ARILA project or its implementing partners, including providing technical advice and coordination efforts
We are looking for a team player, who fulfils his/her delegated tasks in a reliable and responsible way, maintains high quality standards throughout his/her work and proactively looks for ways to support his/her colleagues and our partners
- Master’s degree or bachelor’s degree with equivalent work experience (additional 2 years of related work experience) in economics, business administration or related fields.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in supporting businesses, start-ups, small and medium enterprises
- Work experience with actors and agencies for international cooperation for sustainable development (such as UNDP, USAID, DFID, JAICA, GIZ, KfW) is considered beneficial
- The applicant needs to demonstrate that they have a reliable professional network with business development and private sector actors in Anbar.
- Above average fluency in written and oral English and Arabic languages are mandatory for this position
- Very good working knowledge of MS Office
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Applicants will be required to demonstrate their professional skills during the selection process
Requirements for application:
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (RA-ARILA022-071) Entrepreneurship & Employment Advisor
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered