Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager (DV Construction) the Engineer will be responsible to deliver and accomplish the construction and/or rehabilitation of facilities in compliance with the project’s goals and objectives. He\She is in charge of the day-to-day management and supervision, ensuring the overall efficiency and effectiveness of processes and activities undertaken to achieve timely delivery of infrastructure measures.
B. The Engineer performs the following tasks:
• Provide overall technical assistance to GIZ construction projects, from their planning to their implementation and monitoring.
• Check relevant documents and drawings for this process with AutoCAD, knowledge of the local labor market and prices, review or compiling a BOQ
• Responsible to ensure that effective implementation, monitoring and supervision tools are developed and implemented.
• Responsible to ensure effective quality control systems are in place and contractor and engineering consultancy companies work in compliance with technical specifications and GIZ quality standards.
• Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers.
• Ensure all technical inputs and cost estimates related to the construction components are accurate, timely provided and included in the project proposals and budgets.
• Support the tender exercises for the procurement of construction and consultancy services.
• Take responsibility for overall progress and use of resources.
• Identify and manage risks and initiate corrective action where necessary, so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved.
• Prepare interim - final project and handover reports and maintain the relevant project records.
• Manage project budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
• Coordinate with representatives of partner`s relating to technical matters
• Certify disbursements of funds monitor and submit financial status reports to management in compliance with the pre-established requirements.
• Ensure a sound handing over of facilities to project beneficiaries.
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
• Advanced university degree in Civil or Structural Engineering, Architecture or other relevant technical field
• Minimum 5 years of professional experience at national and international level in the field of civil engineering
• Experience in working in complex environments and large infrastructure, prefabricated building construction and/or civil works, particularly in the field of construction technical project documentation development as well as construction supervision.
• Experience in community mobilization/ community monitoring sites, coupled with the ability to address and manage all aspects of monitoring of a construction (legal aspects of positioning, procurement, law and knowledge of construction contracts, construction information technologies, and follow-up).
• Experience in managing and supervising medium to large-scale construction works in the public sector;
• Knowledge of procurement, tendering and contracting processes and requirements;
• Excellent and proven experience in dealing with contractors and local partners;
• Working experience in the area of preparation, implementation and monitoring of technical/ (re)construction projects; methodological and calculation skills;
• Background/familiarity with an emergency/transitional development aid
• Fluent in written and spoken Arabic and English
• Familiar with Microsoft Office and Email, AutoCad
• The location of assignment is Mosul, with travel to construction sites and departments within Mosul
• Travel to Erbil and/or Duhok occasionally for coordination meetings, after approval of DV