About GIZ and GIZ Iraq
As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world.
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH has been working in Iraq since 2014 and has maintained a country office in Baghdad since 2018. On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Federal Foreign Office (AA) and the European Union (EU), GIZ is working on the three priority areas in Iraq. GIZ offers support in Iraq to help internally displaced people and host communities improve their living conditions. Here, the aim is to promote social cohesion, create income opportunities and revitalise the local economy. These measures are being implemented in the autonomous region of Kurdistan and in Federal Iraq.
About the project
This position is part of the The “Financial inclusion for a new economic start and integration in Iraq” (FI) Project team in Iraq. FI project is a multi-donor action commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) through the special initiative “Tackling the Root Causes of Displacement, Reintegrating Refugees/Partnership for Prospect”, co-funded by the European Union (EU) and implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. The project aims to sustainably improve financial inclusion and access to inclusive financial services for vulnerable target groups.
This position is in Basra, with the following main tasks:
- Provides passenger transport in an official car for office, project or program staff, official visitors, and guests.
- Runs errands for the project, program, or office, e.g. sending letters and messages, paying bills, and buying smaller quantities of office supplies.
- Helps with transporting goods.
- Completes the vehicle log correctly and conscientiously by GIZ standards.
- Ensures that giz car are fully supplied with health and disinfection equipment as a COVID-19 measures and that all health SOPs are being followed by the driver and the passengers.
- Checks oil, water, brakes, and brake liquid, tire pressure, battery levels, and the entire vehicle, monthly or every 5,000 km (whichever is first), headlights, brakes, bodywork for dents, etc.
- Responsible for the project vehicle documents and their good condition, keeping a vehicle log, and recording monthly maintenance.
- Calculates monthly petrol, oil, and lubricant consumption for the daily cash fund and for forwarding monthly vouchers to cost accounting .
- Reports need for service and carry out minor repairs proactively.
- Immediately reports all involvement of the project or office vehicle in accidents, including minor accidents, damage, loss, or theft of vehicle fittings to the line manager and giz Risk Management Office (RMO).
- Knowledge management
- Uses all available information (including current radio news on traffic conditions) to update daily knowledge of road conditions, current passable routes, and locations, and shares this information with other office drivers.
- Proactively follows the movement SOPs and instructions, as advised by giz risk management office.
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Assists other colleagues as needed in the project, program, or office if there is no travel pending, carries out other office work on request.
- Secondary school education.
- Holds a valid driver’s license.
- Training on First Aid and Emergency Response is an asset.
- At least 1-3 years work experience as a driver with references.
- No major accidents in the past 3 years.
- Basic knowledge of general mechanics
- Working with an international organization is a strong asset.
- Basic knowledge of MS office and skilled internet user.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good knowledge of English language is an asset.
- Discipline and punctuality.
- Resilience and patience.
- Familiarity with the city, regions.
- Ensures unrestricted availability of vehicles at all times and reports restrictions immediately.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Ability to pass driving test (visual and practical) in the country in question
Important notes for your application
The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BA-FI22-114) Driver Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
The use of GIZ templates is mandatory, all applications that do not use the template will not be evaluated.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.
GIZ templates for applications