The objective of the projects ‘Recovery and Rehabilitation Mosul’ (RRM) and ‘Stabilizing Livelihoods in Nineveh’ (SLN) is to strengthen the resilience of vulnerable populations in selected communities in Nineveh, specifically in the districts of al-Hamdaniya, Mosul, Sinjar, Tel Afar, Tel Kaif. The projects focus on achieving structural impacts at the household and sub- national levels by strengthening public social services, access to income and peacebuilding measures. The projects further aim at creating synergies between so called hard components e.g. construction and soft components including programming in civil conflict transformation and promoting peaceful coexistence. Thus, the projects comprise the following four fields of action 1) rehabilitation of basic public social infrastructure, 2) livelihood activities 3) approaches to peacebuilding and 4) prospects for youth.
The action field ‘approaches to peacebuilding’ will significantly contribute to civil conflict transformation, promoting peaceful coexistence, and strengthening social cohesion beyond the project region. It aims at an overall promotion of context-sensitive approaches in all fields of action, aligned with the requirements for peace and security. For this purpose, operations in all fields of action require a do no-harm check and a continuous review of the conflict-sensitive implementation of activities. Furthermore, short- and mid-term peacebuilding measures will systematically include experiences with the latter into the conceptual development of long-term peacebuilding approaches.
Overall Purpose of Post
As a (Senior) Advisor for the action field ‘approaches to peacebuilding’ you will be facilitating and advising on the conflict sensitive implementation of the projects focusing on the conceptual development of the projects. That includes the provision of proactive advice for the possible redesign of ongoing activities as well as planning of follow up and new peacebuilding measures . The position provides furthermore close support and advice to other GIZ projects as well as partners of GIZ such as political stakeholders, civil servants, implementation partners, civil society and other central actors. Frequent visits to Mosul and other sub-districts in Nineveh are necessary.
Tasks and Responsbillities
The (Senior) Advisor for the action field ‘approaches to peacebuilding’ is responsible for:
▪ Advises and accompanies the strategic planning on current and future interventions in close cooperation with the unit members
▪ Conducts Capacity Development Measures (WS and Trainings) and provides advise on conflict sensitive implementation of program activities.
▪ Provides feedback and guidance to ensure cohesion between different project components and propose adjustments when needed to ensure that project outcomes are attained in a conflict-sensitive, effective and efficient manner, in line with established methodologies.
▪ Regularly assesses the strategic alignment of activities, identifying areas of strategic focus to guide project improvements, and future activities.
▪ Provides technical advice on ongoing efforts for successful implementation as well as design and development of complementing peacebuilding activities
▪ Advises other GIZ projects active in Nineveh on incorporating and applying conflict sensitive approaches (might be extended to other provinces)
▪ Addresses cross-cutting issues (e.g. gender) in design and implementation of activities within the component.
▪ Represents the unit at partner meetings, stakeholder meetings and further technical platforms for exchange
▪ Analyzes and reports on relevant outputs from partner meetings, stakeholder meetings and further technical platforms for exchange and provides analytical assessment and advise to the unit
▪ Supports with providing regular updates on actor mappings and stakeholder analyses
▪ Keeps up-to-date with local and national implementation partners’ (Think Tanks, NGOs, etc.) intervention strategies, as well as governmental approaches to and strategies on reconciliation and peacebuilding
▪ Coordinates and cooperates with all relevant stakeholders including identification of interfaces and synergies.
▪ Coordinates closely with the monitoring and evaluation unit to assess impact and coverage of activities, as well as quality and relevance of the context monitoring system
Required qualifications, competences and experience
▪ Degree in peace and conflict studies, social science, political science, law or related field of study.
▪ At least 6 years of professional experience in a field relevant to the position, preferably in an INGO or International Development Organization.
▪ Very good command of ICT technologies
▪ Strong coordination and organization skills with attention to details and deadlines regarding effective implementation, planning, monitoring and evaluation of the project as well as reporting of project activities in a context and conflict sensitive manner.
▪ Good communication and networking skills.
▪ Excellent communication skills in English and Arabic.
▪ Experience in supporting and monitoring peacebuilding, or recovery programs in Iraq or a similar context.
▪ Experience in facilitation and moderation of workshops, trainings and other modes of knowledge-sharing
▪ Experience in liaising with government authorities, other national/international technical counterparts and NGOs, and building effective partnerships
▪ Experience in working with multi-cultural teams.
▪ In-depth experience in the field of context and conflict sensitive approaches and conflict sensitive monitoring, advocacy and institutional capacity building.
▪ Proven ability to coach operations in volatile transitional contexts
▪ Experience in in taking responsibility for contract management and partner relations;