Job Title: Communication & PR Advisor
Reports to: Coordinator Advisory Board and PR & Communication
Communication and PR Advisor Migration Advice Centre Context
Migration Advice Centre Context The Global Programme “Programme Migration for Development” (PME) is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) to establish migration advice structures in thirteen partner countries of German Development Cooperation. The objective of the programme is to strengthen the development-relevant contributions of migrants in their countries of origin and improve the framework conditions for legal migration in selected partner countries. This objective is actively being pursued by the following components: (1) Migration Policy Advice (2) Migration Advice (3) Development-oriented Return of Migrants (4) Diaspora Cooperation (5) Business Ideas for Development. In the context of the component “Migration Advice” PME is running “Migrationsberatungszentrum” (Migration Advice Centres) in Baghdad and Erbil. The Centre’s target group is potential migrants as well as returning migrants from Germany. The Migration Advice Centres offers counselling services on perspectives of educational and professional development in the country of question as well as information and advice on possibilities and requirements of legal labour migration.
Are you a creative solution maker? Proactive and research driven with attention to detail? If yes, then this Communication and PR Advisor opportunity could be for you.
Overall Purpose of Post
The position holder will carry out advice and support giving services in the above-mentioned frame to individuals seeking counselling and support, including individuals interested in migrating to and returnees from Germany and other EU countries. He/she researches, compiles and makes available relevant information, offers and actors in legal migration and reintegration offers (business start-up, job placement, vocational training, psychosocial support and others) in Iraq. He/she exchanges with his/her counter parts in Germany to provide country-specific information to migrants intending to migrate to Germany and migrants interested in returning to Iraq. He/she cooperates with relevant counterparts within bilateral projects of GIZ and GIZ country office as well as implementing partners, service providers and institutions. He/she supports the team in the development of the activities and approaches of the centres. He/she additionally supports the team during fieldwork in regard of communication with various actors.
Under the supervision of the Coordinator Advisory Board and PR & Communication the Public Relations and Communication Advisor will:
- Contribute to conceptualize, plan and develop all communication and visibility activities/materials of GIZ PME in Iraq, encompassing programmes, service providers, and external clients
- Provide systematic support to planning and management of publications
- Support events and visits
- Consult and cooperate with other organisations, e. g. partner NGOs
- Support updating and maintenance for social media websites, e. g. Facebook in close collaboration with the PR Officer of GMAC Erbil
- Develop appropriate communications and responses to inquiries related to PME activities in Iraq in consultation with the PR and Communication Advisor of the GIZ Country Office and the Junior Social Media and Community Outreach Officer of GMAC Erbil
- Carry out other duties as may be deemed necessary by the supervisor
- Prepares workshop material
- Organise tenders and support procurement of PR Items in close cooperation with the GIZ Country Office
- Liaise with and supervise external service providers (editors, photographers, printing companies, graphic designers)
- Support/advise the Coordinator Advisory Board and PR & Communication on media productions regarding content, corporate design and corporate language and recommend external service providers to them
PublicationsGraphic design, updating and developing new communications products
- Develop new communication materials and update existing communication materials (fact sheets, roll up banners etc.)
- Ensures publications comply to the graphic design in use for GIZ’s publication
- Plan, organize and manage events and advise GIZ’s programmes in organising events
- Support the production of visibility material for foreign delegations such as international VIP and other high-ranking visits
Networking and others
- Consult with German HQ/Corporate Communications Department of PME
- Cooperate with other implementing organisations • Comply with GIZ rules and regulations pertaining communications and visibility • Provides general administrative support
- Prepares various written outputs, such as background papers, correspondence with governments, working papers, mission reports, presentations and ad hoc reports and participates in relevant meetings and conferences in the area of migration in the country of deployment
- Does backstopping to the Coordinator Advisory Board and PR & Communication on the ongoing developments on the topic of migration advice in the country of deployment and the activities of the government regarding this topic
- Prepares and contributes to field missions and capacity-building activities, including the preparation of workshops and trainings in the country of deployment and interprets the discussions etc.
- Perform other duties as deemed necessary by superior/s.
- University degree in communications, journalism, language studies, literature or related field. Master’s preferred.
- A minimum of five years relevant occupational experience or equivalent combination of both
- Native Arabic speaker, excellent in English language - both in speaking and writing, ideally knowledge of German.
- Exhibit self- initiative and creative thinking in executing tasks.
- Ability to exercise analytical and conceptual skills and approaches issues with a solution-oriented mind-set.
- Knowledge of video editing software; Photoshop or other graphic design programmes
- Exhibits conscientiousness, reliability, integrity, loyalty, commitment and perseverance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with others in the workplace.
- Result driven, ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to perform effectively in a culturally diverse work environment.
- Required to travel, especially to Erbil
- Flexibility, willingness to learn, and approach challenges constructively
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-PME21-128) Communication & PR Advisor
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.