Genel Energy Plc is an Anglo-Turkish exploration and production company with a focus on the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. We are one of the largest London listed independent oil producers, primarily through our interest in the Tawke Production Sharing Contract, which contains the world-class Tawke field and promising Peshkabir discovery. Our growth aspirations are supported by a robust balance sheet and strong cash flow generation. The Genel Drilling Department is taking a long-term view toward developing a performance drilling team to optimize drilling and completion efficiency and drive down trouble time and costs in very challenging drilling environments. The senior well test engineer in Kurdistan will work close with the London Drilling Team and the daily rig operations to develop and implement the Well Test Programs (may be open or cased hole) while pursuing performance drilling and reducing NPT.
- Show strong HSE leadership during the well test planning and execution phases.
- Supervisor well test operations at the well location.
- Daily work with the Senior Completion Engineer(s), Superintendents, and in-country Drilling Manager.
- Follow up on daily basis the completion and intervention operations and plan ahead in order to ensure efficient operations with minimal downtime. Lead the team to ensure activities are safe, comply with regulatory requirements and Company directives as well as industry standards with minimal environmental impact / footprint.
- Follow up of the performance of the well with respect to established KPIs and making recommendations for operational improvement. Tracking service company performances and review reports of non-conformance events.
- If needed, develop technical scope of works for contracting completion, well testing, workover, etc. services. Participate in technical and commercial evaluations if required.
- Support and organize peer assists and technical reviews.
- If needed, review completion and well testing plans and budgets. Generate well test scoping costs and AFEs.
- If needed, responsible for performing well testing engineering studies to ensure optimum well design.
- If needed, prepare Basis of Design (BOD) for Well Test Programs.
- Provide scoping well tests costs and engineering inputs to feasibility studies.
- Ensures all work within the area of responsibility is adequately documented and lessons learned are captured for the benefit of future operations worldwide.
- Ensure well material and service providers comply with specified quality assurance requirements
- Ensures all well test activities comply with company standards and appropriate regulatory requirements
- Meet subsurface well test objectives and requirements.
- Build effective relationships and interact professionally with internal / external stakeholders and service companies.
- Conduct TWOPs & CWOPs.
- Provide input during the completion and well test job execution and perform post job analysis as needed.
- Plan for future well tests and ensure required materials and services are available in country and allocated as required.
- Management of Change: ensure stakeholders clearly understand the proposed change and that the advice given is relevant and accurate.
- Provide daily office and engineering support to the Drilling Manager(s) including updating well test plots, developing and maintaining daily well test electronic records and notebooks, other activities as needed.
- Assist with the development of new company completion and well test policies and procedures, guidelines, and regulations. Monitor compliance. Ensure MOC process complied with and monitor well delivery process for exploration and development well tests including QA/QC, document control, software requirements and tools, etc. Work close with all assets and departments to ensure commonality and continuous improvement process is in place.
- Develop quarterly well test statistics for senior management performance review meetings and QPRs with service companies.
- Develop detailed end of well test report(s).
- Coordinate special projects and studies, internal investigations, peer reviews, audits, insurance claims, NPT and invoice issues, etc.
- Track and adhere to the drilling exploration and development Well Delivery Process.
- Work close with HSE department to ensure all HSE requirements are in compliance. Work with security personnel.
- Work with accounts payable system (EAM, Proactis or similar system) and associated personnel to ensure system used correctly with invoices paid in a timely fashion. Review invoices for accuracy, credit adjustments for NPT, etc.
- If needed, maintain and update tangibles inventory list and coordinate with appropriate departments involved with tangible assets.
- Assist with contract administration to ensure adherence and contract value monitored.
- Provide 24 hours per day / 7 days per week oversight with well test operations.
- Other responsibilities as assigned. Note the responsibilities and objectives are subject to changes and modifications at any time
- Engineering Degree
- Significant industry training course
Location and Timing
Erbil and Kurdistan rig site based position with potential travel to Turkey, London, or other locations as required.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Work Experience
- Engineering degree preferred.
- Fluent in English.
- IWCF or IADC Well Control. Drilling, Completion, Workover, Snubbing, etc Preferred.
- Ten years of Completion, Workover & and or Well Test experience.
- Experience with high levels of H2S and CO2 would be a plus.
- Significant experience with well testing and flaring sour gas a plus.
- Kurdistan well test experience is a plus.
- Major Operator experience as staff or consultant a plus.
- Good leadership, writing, and communication skills both verbal and written.
- Pragmatic proactive self-starter who can work independently and in a team environment with minimal supervision.
- Preferred completion and well test experience in KRI.
- Desire to build and maintain completion performance database to optimize drilling capability would be a plus.
- Sensitivity working with different cultures and diverse backgrounds.
- Service company experience would be a plus.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Landmark Applications (StressCheck, Wellcat etc).